Bench Holddowns

Page 1 of 2
Anyone know where to get the iron hold downs that you tap in with a hammer cheap? I don't want the $70 (Good Lord!!) ones that have an adjusting screw on them, just a piece of iron bent into an L shape. I thought I saw them in the Grizzly catalog but I cant find them now and the index sucks.
I saw these recently at Rockler for $10.
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/showdetl.cfm?offerings_idS29&objectgroup_id30&catidi
Look at "F". Is that what you are looking for?

In rec.woodworking

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

The problem is they are cast iron instead of steel. To me, that's a problem. Think about the properties that make cast iron great for tool tables. Stability, lack of elasticity. You will find that the iron ones are one good whack from being two pieces of useless cast iron (DAMHIKT, and yes, it was the Rockler variety). You don't have to get the Veritas type, but I recommend you hold out for steel, even if you have to find a local blacksmith.
Cheers, Eric

Everything Eric said, I've bought some of the cast iron ones and they DO break. Besides, if you do choose to buy them anyway, do not spend $10 with Rockler when the exact same item cost $2 at HF.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Bruce said:

This one perhaps?
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/product.asp?024&141&3778
Greg G.
Avoid buying the small, cheap cast iron hold fasts. They break very easily. I bought two, and both broke within a week. The vendor didn't argue when I called to complain. They just refunded my money.
Since then, I bought a pair of handforged ones that are indestructible. Unfortunately, the guy who made them did it as a one time thing, so you I can't tell you where to get one like mine.
David
remove the key to email me.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comkey (J Pagona aka Y.B.) wrote in message

Did you get yours from Tom Holloway? I know his son made some a few years back, and the galoots seemed to be pleased with them.
As for the original question, I don't own any holdfasts. What I use are little Jorgenson and Bessey clamps that I have doctored up so I can slide the lower jaw off. I put the bar through a doghole and slide the lower jaw back on under the benchtop. Tighten the clamp and they'll hold almost anything.
Chuck Vance

No, I got mine a year or two before Tom's son started making them. One of the galoots brokered the deal, but I forget his name. As far as I know, Tom's son may still be making them.
David
remove the key to email me.

Harbor Freight has cheaply made ones for about $2 when on sale. Get a bunch, every once in a while they will break.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bruce) wrote in message

Harbor Freight - how bad could they screw one of these up ;)
Has anyone tried to make one out of wood?
Although it would have to have a much heavier section at the top due to the different properties of wood, I can't imagine that one madenout of hickory wouldn't work.
On 20 Jan 2004 13:42:58 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@nhsd.k2.pa.us (David Hall) wrote:

Yes, two weeks ago.

Mine has a beech stem and a plywood top part, which is like a cam action clamp, so that you not only have the usual holddown feature but additionaly you can increase the clamping force with the lever. It works, but due to a not-so-well designed lever not too good. I still have to figure out the best curvature for the lever, so that it stays put in any position and gives maximum travel.
Pictures follow if/when I get a digital camera.
In rec.woodworking

I love making my own jigs and such but in that size, it is virtually impossible to beat the strength of steel. Especially since you're changing grain directions at a 90 degree bend. Plywood would take care of that and may work but seems like a lot of trouble for something that can be had at Harbor Freight for $2.

seems like something to be carved from a crotch stick rather than milled from dressed lumber...     Bridger
Pretty bad. Totally wrong material.

Steel is good. Cast iron is bad. Steel will flex. Cast iron is brittle. The cheap holdfasts are cheap sandcastings. You get to understand this pretty quickly when you tap on the top of the holdfast with a mallet, and the mallet procedes all the way down to the benchtop, while a 5/8" thick x 10" long piece of cast iron bounces off the floor 1/8" from your foot.
DAMHIKT.
David
remove the key to email me.
In rec.woodworking snipped-for-privacy@aol.comkey (J Pagona aka Y.B.) wrote:

Yep, one of mine that I just bought lasted one easy blow of the mallet. What moron built these out of cast iron? You need spring properties for it to work.
You get a lot of this kind of thing when you buy Chinese. They are big on the cast iron anvils too.
You need spring properties for it