Belt sander

Page 2 of 2

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/rotex-sanders/ro-125-feq-rotex-sander-571536.html
Dammit!! Will you guys quit with the Festool stuff? Some one here is going to think I'm rich; buying all the fancy tools. Now to find somewhere where I can get my hands on a Rotex. Sigh.
Max

I looked up the price of the Rotex 125. $380. When I told "someone here" how much it was she asked, "Does it come with a Bracero?"
Max
On 4/14/2010 3:24 PM, Max wrote:

Leon's the neighborhood pusher. DAMHIKT
I bought the 5" Rotex 125 after seeing his make quick work of a couple of _large_ kitchens' face frames after installation (we usually leave the final FF sanding until after installation as most paint contractor's helpers can't match the sanding we can do).
Pretty damned amazing, and even more amazing is it is virtually dust free free with the CT22E dust extractor. You can easily use the setup in a finished house without little regard for dust protection if need be.
On that note ... I just Section 179'ed about $2500 worth of Festool today as I was finishing up my 2009 taxes before eFiling. Really made it worthwhile seeing those Festool figures lower the tax liability with each entry. :)
It hurts up front, but damn ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I can write off computers, cameras, vehicle mileage, and quite a bit of misc. but my schedule C would need some explaining if I tried to write off any of the woodworking machines. I do insurance inspections and appraisals. The woodworking is just an expensive hobby. {:-(
Max
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:24:27 -0600, the infamous "Max"

I was Feined in the mail yesterday. They want me to buy their HEPA-filtered vacs for lead abatement remos. I refuse to do anything which stinks of bullshit: bureaucracy, politics, lead, asbestos, mercury, AGWK, etc.
--
STOP THE SLAUGHTER! Boycott Baby Oil!

I wasn't trying to help push the addiction... but the first thing I did when I saw this thread was type in "Festool Belt Sander". Apparently, they did make one but not for the American market.
Puckdropper

LOL. The first thing *I* did was search for a Festool *belt* sander. If I *could* buy one I'm convinced I *would* buy one. Some folks are uncomfortable using a belt sander but I find them very useful. No one in El Paso sells Festool and I would like to get my hands on a Rotex before I commit. I'm just not sure it would be aggressive enough.
Max

Many of the Festool on line dealers will ship for free. Regaudless of who you buy from it will be the same price. Festool has a 30 day money back guarantee. No commitment if you don't like it. Agressive enough? I have owned a couple of belt sanders and still have one but even my old right angle PC ROS would give the belt sander a run for the money. My Rotex will certainly keep up. And as mentioned before, dust is pretty much a non issue. AND way way way quieter than a belt sander.

You're a helluva salesman, Leon. LOL I have and "old" right angle PC ROS and using 80 grit, it won't compete with a 120 belt on my Elu. The dust issue will probably be the clincher though.
Max
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 06:55:40 -0600, the infamous "Max"

I wonder if they even _sell_ 32-grit boulder paper for them thangs.
In any case, a planah is what you need, not a belt sandah.
--
STOP THE SLAUGHTER! Boycott Baby Oil!

(Sigh)
Max

I have a Makita 4x24 belt sander. Its a good sander I guess. Powerful. LONG cord. OK dust collection I guess. Belt tracks well. But of all the tools I've bought over the years, the belt sander fits into the "I wish I would not have bought it" category. Just not all that ueful for me. I have hand planes that can smooth a surface far quicker and easier.

I have the Bosch 1276DVS 4 X 24 belt sander. It gets very little use but when I need it, it's irreplaceable. I'm looking for a 3X21. I find that size to be ideal when I need to take off a little end grain on a corner of a box, etc. that didn't end up perfectly flat. I have a 16" planer that can smooth a surface pretty good. My problem with hand planes is sharpening them. I don't have the patience. I have a great respect for those who can do wonders with "old fashioned" tools but I'm not a big fan of "neander" methods. My philosophy is "get it 'right' but get it done".
Max
On Apr 14, 8:09pm, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

Russell-
But ... DO you wear a helmet, when using your belt sander ?
Sorry. Your name was familiar from the bicycling forums ;-)

Earplugs and safety glasses. You have to fit the safety equipment to the task. Probably should wear some kind of breathing gear too since you do create dust with the belt sander.