Beginning woodwork

Page 2 of 3

Dan Valleskey wrote:

[snip]
I use real super glue.
Josie
firstjois wrote:

Oh don't do that, it causes liver damage!
:-)
Disclaimer for the humor impaired: The above comment is intended as sarcastic humor due to the presence of two other current threads regarding the preceived dangers of acetone.
Jeff
It was somewhere outside Barstow when "firstjois"
I've stopped doing that since I researched the health hazards of it. Now I've got some of the real medical stuff (it's not quite the same).
firstjois wrote:

You might want to google "cyanoacrylate surgical adhesive". There's a lot of information out there--turns out that there are good reasons that special formulations were developed for medical use.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

Thanks all, I'll check that out!
Josie
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:57:16 -0500, "firstjois"

I would not advise using super glue. It may have an arsenic compound. Too much info here, but the mortician said he had to super glue my mother's body to seal up all the holes from the needles removed at the hospital.
Sorry, I meant cyonide (not arsenic.)

What's so bad about cyanide ? As deadly poisons go, it's pretty benign. You don't accumulate it, it doesn't have side-effects unless you receive enough of it to cause anoxia.
Phisherman wrote:

All superglue, including the surgical varieties, is cyanoacrylate based. Cyanoacrylate is not cyanide.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Yours is better stocked than mine. Mine is in fact a pull-out medicine cabinet from a bathroom remodel. Includes a mirror in case I need to check how badly my head is cut, or worst yet, my hair falls out of place. As for content suggestions, a feminine sanitary napkin is good for slapping on a bad cut to stem bleeding until a real bandage, or professional attention, can be managed. They are sterile and very absorbent.

And the "trauma dressings" we carry on the ambulance are nearly exactly the same thing.

It's called humor jack ass
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:38:53 -0500, "longshot"

=========================No comment....
Bob Griffiths

==============I did not take it as a joke... Call it anyway you like.. I just did not feel like a response would do a damn bit of good... Bob Griffiths
Thanks very much for the advice Bob.
I'll head over to the library but as you said, nothing is going to teach me more than actually doing it.
Looking forward to my course. It's only a week long, but should give me the basics to go on and learn more.

out
Bob G. wrote:

Like Bob, I got started in woodworking by remodeling my house, on the last room now. I would advise you get started by building things for the shop: wall cabinets, router table, shelves. Practice different methods of joinery on these pieces because you will make mistakes, lots of them. Much better to make them on things for the shop made with "cheap" wood and be proficient before graduating to more expensive things. Shop cabinets are also a great way to practice different finishes and find the ones you like (and dislike).
I started in my house by remodeling a bedroom into my "play room" with a built in desk and floor to ceiling bookcases. Looks OK to the uninitiated but I would be embarassed to show them to this group. I'm ready to rip all the work out and start over, wish I knew what I was doing before I started.
I took some classes, learned a lot by reading this group, got some help when I needed it. I still consider myself a beginner, but a lot more advanced than when I started. I think woodworking is a lot like golf or playing bridge, the more you learn, the more you know what you still have to learn.
Good luck and keep a thick skin when posting.

room now. I would advise

table, shelves. Practice

mistakes, lots of them. Much

proficient before

to practice different

built in desk and floor to

to show them to this

I was doing before I

when I needed it. I still

I think woodworking is a

what you still have to learn.

Thanks very much for the advice.
I must say everyone has been very helpful to me in this group.
I'll post a photo of my first creation on this group for your viewing pleasure (or maybe that should be amusement!).
Kevin O`Brien wrote: snip

PLease post it to news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking instead, this isn't a binaries group.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:46:56 -0500, Bob G. wrote:

Not just wrong: totally wrong
1) It is simply common sense to keep a well-stocked first aid kit in the shop. Accidents happen. "Bandaids" was a funny quip, but it addressed a serious situation. There are more "tools" in a well set up shop than just the woodworking tools that a newbie might consider. 2) There is no substitute for following best practices with power machinery. That said, accidents do happen. Power tools will do enough damage very quickly that the first aid kit may be inadequate. A phone in the shop can be, literally, a life-saver.
3) We hobbyists are often working alone. There's no-one else who can call for help.
The three-stitch cut I got on my hand last Saturday (my hatchet merely -touched- me, not even swinging) is healing nicely. Both SWMBO and swmo were present and helped bandage the hand for the trip to the clinic.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com