Beginning woodwork

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 02:25:41 +0000, Andy Dingley scribbled:

Just to help you along here are the URLs to the sites Andy recommends:

Jeff Gorman

Leach
"nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

David Blizzard. Did some TV series in the '80s, a decade that wasn't noted for prime woodworking. There are a number of tie-in books which sold well at the time, are now out of print, but show up regularly as S/H.

It's not bad stuff, and if you see a toy in there that you particularly like, it wouldn't be a bad thing to make. The techniques though are pretty dull - straight-line cuts through plywood, screwed together softwood. You might make the kids something they love, but you won't learn much woodworking from it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

[snip]

I use real super glue.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

Oh don't do that, it causes liver damage!

:-)

Disclaimer for the humor impaired: The above comment is intended as sarcastic humor due to the presence of two other current threads regarding the preceived dangers of acetone.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cooper

I've stopped doing that since I researched the health hazards of it. Now I've got some of the real medical stuff (it's not quite the same).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You might want to google "cyanoacrylate surgical adhesive". There's a lot of information out there--turns out that there are good reasons that special formulations were developed for medical use.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yours is better stocked than mine. Mine is in fact a pull-out medicine cabinet from a bathroom remodel. Includes a mirror in case I need to check how badly my head is cut, or worst yet, my hair falls out of place. As for content suggestions, a feminine sanitary napkin is good for slapping on a bad cut to stem bleeding until a real bandage, or professional attention, can be managed. They are sterile and very absorbent.

--

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

I would not advise using super glue. It may have an arsenic compound. Too much info here, but the mortician said he had to super glue my mother's body to seal up all the holes from the needles removed at the hospital.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
Phisherman

What's so bad about cyanide ? As deadly poisons go, it's pretty benign. You don't accumulate it, it doesn't have side-effects unless you receive enough of it to cause anoxia.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks all, I'll check that out!

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

All superglue, including the surgical varieties, is cyanoacrylate based. Cyanoacrylate is not cyanide.

Reply to
J. Clarke

heh heh heh... bourbon and cigarettes.

Reply to
AAvK

And the "trauma dressings" we carry on the ambulance are nearly exactly the same thing.

Reply to
Dave Hinz