Bed rail fastener -- recommendation?

Hi all -
Thinking about building a simple bed frame and was wondering if there was a preference when it came to the fasteners (mortise or non-mortise).
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid981
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid269
Also, I was thinking about making the rails out of plywood (2 3/4" joined together) if only because access to real wood is difficult... any opinions on that?
Thanks!
I've used the mortised kind...love'em. Given though you're thinking about using ply for the rails, I would lean more toward the non-mortise type. The screws holding the hooks on the mortised type wouldn't hold well in ply.
Good luck...
Darwin
Fine Woodworking magazine had an excellent article about bed making discusing all of the most comon joints and pretty much everything you need to consider for a bed design regarding structure.
You really should look it up, it was well worth the read.
BW
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Having built a bed or two in the past, I would recommend the mortise type. Much stronger. And that's important unless you're not very active.     mahalo,         jo4hn
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

<snip>
I'd reconsider the plywood idea for the rails. Even if you have to mail order the solid wood, I would think it will be structurally more sound. Maple, ash, oak, birch all would be good candidates.
Where are you that you can get sheet goods, but no solid stock?
Patriarch
I'm (slowly) working on a bed also, and planning to use the mortise-type fastener. The plans I have suggest putting a dowel up through the rail, so the screw holding the fastener to the rail has something to 'bite' into. Otherwise, you'd be screwing into end grain, which we all know isn't as strong. I agree that (even with a dowell) plywood wouldn't be as strong in terms of holding the fastener hardware. Good luck, Andy
Well, it's not that I can't... it's more of an issue with working with solid wood... just don't have all the necessary equipment...
But maybe I'll rethink things...
Thanks!

mortise and tennon using bed bolts is the best solution .pine or similar boards from the nearest lumberyard for the rails ...
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

One more thought. I built a bed out of doug fir and used (IIRC) tubasix lumber for the rails. Worked very nicely.     j4
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I favor the mortise w/ pin and hook myself.
I don't think that's a real good use for plywood myself.
I don't like the mortise hardware from woodcraft. It tens to want to pull through the plate after a while. I had to weld the male part together so the pins wouldn't pull out. I much prefer castiron hardware. http://www.furnitureknowledge.com/bed_hardware.htm