BEARS DEN INVADED!!

Page 2 of 3
boorite wrote:

ROTFLOL...
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

WOW.. now that's a true SWMBO!! Mac
That gives me goose bumps just thinking about it. I once wanted to photograph a trantula that was walking down the road... he was moving quickly and I ASSUMED that was full speed for him as for a spider he was flat moving! so I laid down on the road to use the road as my tripod, got the camera all set and focus'd and waited for him to fill the screen. When he was about 3' away he CHARGED the camera ( or me ) and it took all of my courage to lay there and wait for that "perfect" shot. Just as I hit the shutter and rolled like crazy the opposite direction, he went whizzing by. MAN they can move.
Troy
boorite wrote:

JEEZ, one just went flying across my keyboard. He's dead now!
http://www.treeturner.com/spiderbelly.jpg
http://www.treeturner.com/spiderback.jpg
This one was smaller then the others but was awfully agressive. the yellow sack discharged alot of liquid when I hit'm
Troy
Troy wrote:

Troy wrote:

*shudder* Looks hobo-ish to me. You can take it to a cooperative extension agent or someone like that to identify it, and they can advise you on controlling them.
Aggression is consistent with the hobo spider profile. Its nickname is the "aggressive house spider."
Ick, ick, ick. And I'm not particularly arachnophobic.
from the picture I saw and the one that ran across the wall shortly there after and the webs on the windows, I'd be willing to wager they are hobo's. I'm going to try to get a good picture of one. ( shutterbug in me.) Course I could just turn the webcam on and let'r run LOL
Troy
boorite wrote:

Troy (in eg35uo$d05$ snipped-for-privacy@news.netins.net) said:
| What do you guys n gals do to keep this | from happening...
I put a hedge apple in each corner of the shop. The spiders stay out.
Morris Dovey wrote:

Which is???
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Dave Jackson wrote:

Thanks for filling me in.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
Dave Bugg (in v%eVg.67$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe04.lga) said:
| Morris Dovey wrote: | || I put a hedge apple in each corner of the shop. | | Which is???
A 50x50 space at one end of a steel building. It's square and the corners are where the walls meet.
Oh, the hedge apples? They're the inedible fruit of /Maclura pomifera/ or osage orange. See http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plantoftheweek/articles/Osage_Orange.ht m for info. As far as I've been able to find out, they grow in most areas of the US; and a Google search turned up some UK references.
Spiders don't seem to like to be around 'em.
Morris Dovey wrote:

LOL!!! Boy, did I fall into that one.

Thanks for the info, Morris.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
Dave Bugg (in KFfVg.158$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe04.lga) said:
| Morris Dovey wrote: | || A 50x50 space at one end of a steel building. It's square and the || corners are where the walls meet. | | LOL!!! Boy, did I fall into that one. | || Oh, the hedge apples? They're the inedible fruit of /Maclura || pomifera/ or osage orange. See || http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plantoftheweek/articles/Osage_Orange.ht || m for info. As far as I've been able to find out, they grow in most || areas of the US; and a Google search turned up some UK references. || || Spiders don't seem to like to be around 'em. | | Thanks for the info, Morris.
You've probably seen 'em (wherever you are.) There's a fairly good photo at
http://www.cirrusimage.com/Trees/osage_orange_1.jpg
Hedge apple is the "fruit" of the Osage Orange tree. Why they call it an apple when it comes from an "orange" tree is beyond me. It looks alot like a cross between a puffer fish and an apple. It is a green sphere with pointed spikes ( soft normally) radiating from it. I've seen them all over the place in kansas, and its very common there to fill a 5 gallon bucket once/yr or so with them and just set it in the corner. Just like Misqoutoes don't like eucalyptus spiders HATE hedge apples. I have no idea why but it is strong enough that it will keep several stories of rooms clear. I had forgotten about that till morris wrote it.
Thanks for reminding me... Now just to find them.
Troy
Dave Bugg wrote:

Troy wrote:

I gotta find out if they can be obtained in eastern Washington State.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Look in the produce section of the grocery store- I just saw a bucket of them a week or two ago, and they were relatively cheap. Don't remember exactly which store, but it was a big chain- may have been WalMart.
Prometheus wrote:

Ya know, after looking at the picture that someone nicely posted, I have to say that I don't recall ever seeing one. But I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open at the grocery store.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Why, that's where 2 walls meet a a right angle, of course.
I like to put a henway there myself.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Fri, Oct 6, 2006, 1:52am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net seeks enlightenment by mumbling: Which is???