Bandsaws: 14", or is bigger better?

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie to the group, and as my first post, I'm asking another "which one to buy" question. I'm looking to buy a bandsaw to add to my shop. I've been looking at both 14 inchers, and am toying with the idea of buying a 17" one. Anyone who has an opinion on any of these specific saws, as well as an opinino on whether it's worth upgrading to a bigger saw would be greatly appreciated!

The ones I'm interested in:

  1. A Powermatic 14", the new model that just came out, the PWBS-14CS. Nice, solid machine with all the bells and whistles for a sale price of 5

  1. A Delta 28-206 1 HP 14" Professional Band Saw, for a sale price of 0

  2. The new Delta X5 14" Closed Stand Bandsaw for around 0

OR...

A bigger, 17" saw. The ones I'm looking at are:

  1. General Model 90-240 M1 for 00.

  1. JET 708750B/JWBS-18 18" Bandsaw for 00

I plan to do ripping and resawing of rough lumber with the bandsaw, as well as curved cutting, and hopefully tons of other things too!

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions...I'd especially like to hear from anyone who's moved to something bigger than a 14 inch bandsaw.

Thanks!

Reply to
Tbone Dano

The new 16" Jet works very well for me. Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

The gist of recent posts on some of the ones you asked about:

The Powermatic is a very sweet bandsaw that seems to have all the aftermarket tweaks built right in. I've heard nothing but good about it. I think of all the cast iron body 14" it may be in the upper echelon.

Forget the Jet 18". Its got the lowest resaw capacity of any 18" saw around. Even the Powermatic 14" can do more, with a good Timberwolf blade. One user recently posted that he had one and wish he had gotten something else.

If you're looking at spending in the $1100 range, you have to consider the Laguna 14SE. It keeps up with the big boys within its physical size limitations.

I hear MinMax has got a new 14' low cost model. You might watch out for it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

I would look at it like this, if space is not an issue you can do everything with an 18" that you could do with a 14" but not Visa Versa. Being the proud owner of a Jet 18" I would not recommend it to anyone. I had to weld on angle iron column supports, put on poly tires and rewire it to 220 before it was close to being acceptable. But since it was a gift from swmbo I grin and bear it without complaint. Take a good look at Laguna before making any decisions.

EJ

Reply to
Eric Johnson

If you have room AND the money, get something bigger than 14in

Larger saw will have greater resaw capacity, usually be better built, and will typically have a motor with more HP so it is more useful with thick stock or resawing

John

Reply to
John Crea

I'd second Bob's comment on the laguna. Also look at the 14tse (12" resaw vs. 6 or 8, I can't remember, I'm sure their website lists it). If I had the dough, that's the way I would have gone.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

I have the Delta 20" and love it. Will re-saw nearly 12" and has decent power, wish it had more at times. It is 220V though.

I bought quite a few different blades for it but ended up only using 4 carbide (3/8, ½, ¾ &1"), the bi-metals now rust on the wall.

When I bought it was sitting next to and dwarfing an 18" Jet.

mark

Reply to
markm

Well, the 14" refers to the distance form the blade to the frame (horizontal capacity) which in my opinion is never enough but doesn't matter. I have a

20" Delta and have never wished I had a 22". What is more important, at least to me, is the resaw capability and power. Some of the 14" saws have extensions that give them good resaw capatility, nearing 12". On the other hand my saw is 2hp 220V and I find it marginally acceptable for resaw on 10-12" stock.

I looked at the 18" Jet but thought it marginal, whimpy and not worth the money.

mark

Reply to
markm

Reply to