Bandsaw blade drift.

I checked my new 1/2", 14" bandsaw blade for drift and found it was perfect. Using the same blade I tested my new circular jig, cutting 4-1/2" hole on a 1/2" thick plywood. The saw jammed twice, I have to removed it manually.

I checked the saw blade drift again, this time the drift was very excessive. Can anyone tell me why, maybe I should I have use 1/4" blade instead?

Thanks

Reply to
WD

The 1/2 inch blade was probably too wide for the size of the circle you were cutting (smaller the circle, smaller the blade needs to be). I use a 3/8 blade for my curves and semi-circles, though I do not cut curves that are very small. You should also make sure that your blade is tensioned correctly. Binding up the blade probably threw it off track.

I have noticed that larger blades (1/2 to 3/4 on my 14 inch Jet with riser) tend to drift very little or not at all.

Regards,

Kevin B.

Reply to
Kevin B

Thanks for the info. I probably should not have saw such small circle, but I'm eager to test my new bandsaw with a new blade in a new circular jig. I estimate the blade now have over 25 degree drift. Can I undrift it or it is now "trash"?

By the way have you use woodslicer blade and how good is good?

Thanks again.

Reply to
WD

Check the min cutting radius at the bottom of this link:

was some other useful info on the page as well.

Bernard R

Reply to
Bernard Randall

I don't have the chart in front of me - but I'd have not attempted that small of a circle with that wide of a blade.

I tried it. DAGS on a topic of something akin to "WoodSlicer Convert". I found the results dramatically better than the Timberwolf blade I had.

Reply to
mttt