Bandsaw

I am looking to get a bandsaw for chair seat and back construction. I need to cut(resaw) cedar branches 3"-6" in diameter into slats. The small bandsaw I have does not have the power.Would a 1hp saw do it? Like a Grizzly 555 (14" with 6" resaw) or should I go bigger, only problem is the cost really goes up from a 14" 1 hp. Also, what method do any of you use to cut rough branches straight without binding the blade. I have screwed a scrap 2x4 to the branch and ran it along a makeshift fence, then moved the fence in as needed. Thanks Andy

Reply to
triad

Hi,

I own the saw that you're thinking about buying, and I purchased it because I wanted an inexpensive band to used primarily for re-sawing.

With that said, I have to inquire as to your nature of woodworking: Are you a pro or a hobbyist?

If woodworking is a hobby, the grizzly will work fine for you - Just buy a good blade for it.

If you're a pro, or soon to go pro, then think bigger - The PBS band saws by Bridgewood are very nice saws. When going pro, time is money, and you'll spend less time cleaning up resawn boards with a really nice band saw than with a cheaper one. If money is really tight, but you can swing it, the Laguna 14" saw is a great saw, or the Rikkon 18" saw can be bought for under $1000.

Also, a saw with a smaller motor is OK, as long as it is coupled with heavy cast iron wheels. The iron wheels build momentum once they're going, and don't slow as much during a cut (Kind of like a fright train won't stop if something's in front of it.)

Hope this helps

Reply to
Gregory Paolini