Back at it... question about proportion

I started a bookcase for the wife about 2 yrs. ago and finally getting around to finishing it. It is 80" tall X 41" wide and I'm wondering what a proportional width of trim around the bottom and top would be. I'm thinking maybe 4". Whatcha all think? Thanks for you expertise here.
--
Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Got some scraps? Trim them to various sizes, and hold them up in the room where this will be. Ask the opinion of the people who will live there.
Me, I use 2". YMMV.
Patriarch

Thanks, sounds like a good idea.
--
Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
"Paul O." wrote in message

What NOT to do:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/TVCabinet2.jpg
That's roughly the same size as your bookshelf, and the trim is fugly at 4"!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
"Paul O." wrote in message

I sorta thought so too when I first did it, but after seeing well designed stuff with a much more critical eye, I realized just how gaudy/gingerbread looking it is in actual use.
One thing I've noticed about "trim" elements is that they changes so much with both perspective and finish that it takes an innate, artistic ability in the design stage to get it right.
To my eye, the darker furniture is, the more you can get away with large trim, but the lighter finishes seem to benefit more from smaller trim.
Of course this is all subjective ... but I prefer "elegant", although I rarely achieve it.
A well done cove molding, of the right size for the piece, can be one of the most delightful design elements in a piece of furniture.
The fact that you're even asking means you've probably got what it takes to make a good decision in the regard ... some of us only learn by living with a piece for a while and then wishing we could do it over again.
Good luck ... the advice to try some different sizes and styles using cheap wood is sound and will save some angst down the road.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07