Back again...

Page 1 of 3

Hi their, guys and gals...
Back again. Seems like every time I turn around, my ISP is trashing out newsgroups. This has now happened with Earthlink and Charter. I am now on the four week free trial with Supernews. So far so good. Hoping it will be worth the 6 bucks a month. Anybody else watching ISPs do this?     mahalo,     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

Yes, that's why I run my own news server (and mail, etc).
-jav
"jo4hn" wrote in message

Yep ... the technical expertise needed to run an nntp server, although slight, seems beyond most ISP's these days. When we cut back on our bandwidth a year or so back, and after some fits and starts with other third party nntp servers, I settled on GigaNews and have been very satisfied.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

The technical expertise required to run a news server with full binaries is huge. The cost is also huge, especially considering the relatively low usage at most ISPs.
The incoming bandwidth for a news server with binaries can exceed 100 megabit/second. There is also the issue of the terabyte or more of fast disk space required.
Brian Elfert

I wouldn't call it "huge". It's just another thing that a decent Unix sysadmin should know.

Not if they do it right. If their usage is low enough, they can resell supernews or whomever.

A TB isn't much disk these days. I can't believe I'm writing that, but it's true.
Dave Hinz wrote:

*---- Most Unix system administrators will never run a high volume news server, so why would you expect them to have the expertise?

*---- Please tell us how to "do it right" at negligible cost. It's a very very substantial cost to my ISP. We stopped even trying to carry a complete newsfeed when daily traffic exceeded 300 GB. How much do you pay for transit for 300 GB per day? How much does your RAID cost to store a month's worth of posts?
Reselling supernews isn't the same as maintaining a news server and newsfeed. Why not just resell connectivity and web hosting instead of being an ISP if that's what you call "hosting a news server".

Yes, it's a very very big disk. Try backing up a terabyte regularly.

OK, let me modify my statement to say that the skills of any decent sysadmin are compatible with running a large NNTP server, and there is little to any unique skill needed. It's just another service running on another port, with bandwidth and storage capacity issues like any other IO intensive app.

Get a reseller account with a bigger newsfeed. Point your clients directly to 'em. And I might be inspired to spend more time on your problem if your tone wasn't so adversarial.

If you're storing a month worth of posts, and that's a problem, I'd say you're not doing it right.

Server, no. Feed, yes, at least as the customer sees it. You can even tweak your dns so that news.yourisp.com is the right server.

"providing NNTP service to your customers". If the appropriate method is to host it, great. If the appropriate method is to offload it, then that's fantastic too.

Just a terabyte? Yeah, um, that's not actually a problem. Depends on the resources available to you, doesn't it.

To floppies????
MMMMWWHHOAAAAAAHAHA.

Rob - you're a very sick person.
I like you!
Robatoy wrote:

Omygawd. I think I missed you most of all.
Sorry for writing this in crayon........
    j4 the looneyburger

...a brown one, no less....

=o}

OUCH.. my old 10 meg hard drive is turning in it's grave, Dave..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Oh, I know. My first hard drive had 5 meg fixed, and 5 meg per removable diskpack. Size of a small washing machine.
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

I was proud of my first "hard" drive ... a spiffy GE Cassette Recorder. Put that "huge" 640kb floppy to shame.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

I've still got some audio casettes with data on them. I wonder if they're readable, 25 years later. I have a theory...
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:09:40 +0000, Dave Hinz wrote:

I doubt it. I finally gave up and threw away my 8" floppies. A few years before that I trash canned my 800bpi mag tapes :-).
Larry Blanchard (in snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm) said:
| On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:09:40 +0000, Dave Hinz wrote: | || I've still got some audio casettes with data on them. I wonder if || they're readable, 25 years later. I have a theory... | | I doubt it. I finally gave up and threw away my 8" floppies. A | few years before that I trash canned my 800bpi mag tapes :-).
Makes me really glad I saved all the really important stuff on paper tape...
;-D

Got holes?
At least it's human readable that way, in a pinch.
Dave Hinz (in snipped-for-privacy@individual.net) said:
| wrote: || Larry Blanchard (in snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm) || said: || ||| On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:09:40 +0000, Dave Hinz wrote: ||| |||| I've still got some audio casettes with data on them. I wonder |||| if they're readable, 25 years later. I have a theory... ||| ||| I doubt it. I finally gave up and threw away my 8" floppies. A ||| few years before that I trash canned my 800bpi mag tapes :-). || || Makes me really glad I saved all the really important stuff on || paper tape... | | Got holes? | | At least it's human readable that way, in a pinch.
Ugh! I actually do have a jar of holes somewhere :-)
And I still have my splicer and a couple of boxes of Mylar splices (just in case).

Yeah, but does the tape reader have a USB port? :-)