Aspen

A buddy of mine is cutting down some Aspen trees, there not too big 10" diameter but they are strait, anybody ever work with Aspen? are they worth sawing into stock? My Wife's grandfather has a portable sawmill so it's not going to cost me anything, just wondering if it's worth my time.
Richard
http://www.hardwoodinfo.com/species_guide/display_species.asp?species=aspen
: A buddy of mine is cutting down some Aspen trees, there not too big 10" : diameter but they are strait, anybody ever work with Aspen? are they worth : sawing into stock? My Wife's grandfather has a portable sawmill so it's : not going to cost me anything, just wondering if it's worth my time. : : : Richard
After reading, I'm sure you can see why few commercial operations will saw aspen if there's anything else on deck. Flakeboard, pulp, pallets are the main uses.
I like to use it in 6/4 or 8/4 chunks the way other folks use spruce or fir. If you saw it, suggest you do the same.
Now, if you need sauna seating, it's the best choice. No splinters, and feels cooler to your butt than any other wood in the sauna.

worth
I've been turning aspen as I live in Denver and just asking for some resulted in a large pile of logs.
Aspen turns wonderfully. I've even seen a few small boxes made from it also and the local Paxtons occationally has boards available.
Richard Clements wrote:

Aspen works nice for drawers. We sell a lot for t & g paneling. Obviously light but can also have a lot of brown tones mixed. Jana
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:35:04 -0400, Richard Clements

It's soft, and has a tight grain with very little figure. It works like pine, without the tendancy to split off large spinters when you use a chisel on it. It's actually really nice looking when finished- the end result looks almost silvery and really flashes when light hits it at the right angle. I don't like building anything that requires strength with it, but it makes a good "white" for inlay work. It's fairly expensive at the local hardware store, but you'd have to try it out to see whether or not it's worth your time- but since you can get it for free, it's probably worth the effort, IMO.