Asbestos concern?

They took down the plastic too soon. (see below)

Yeah, one of my favorite things to do. Kinda like shoveling gravel.
But after the scraping (and allowing it to dry thoroughly) all you really need to do is sand the entire ceiling. That doesn't take all that long with an extension pole, so figure an hour for that. Now texture it (Eek! Hire that out.) paint it, and put up those light fixtures. All done by Christmas!
-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus
Larry Jaques wrote:

I assume after you cleaned up that you would apply joint compound as required, sand, and give it a skim coat? What more would you do to the ceiling (sorry if I'm naive about it)? What sort of texture would you be looking for (name it, and I'll look it up)? After getting ceilings smoothe as a baby's bottom, why are we going to screw 'em up again? Yeah, I didn't know what a "ranch" house was very long before I owned one--I thought it was salad dressing. ; )
That doesn't take all

The one time I've removed that crap, the ceiling had been taped, mudded, and sanded underneath. There was no repair necessary. That said, I've never seen popcorn sprayed on an untaped ceiling, but I wasn't in the industry. I've always been a solo freelancer.

You don't have to texture, but most walls and ceilings are -not- perfect (use high gloss paint and see for yourself <evil grin>) and that shows without a texture to hide it.
Chapter 8, Page 162++, of course. Or match the texture you put on the rest of the walls.

<groan>
(Yes, from Myron Ferguson's _Drywall_ book.)
-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus
Larry Jaques wrote:

Yes, Chapter 8, p. 179 in my copy, says:
"Textured finishes, ... . They are excellent at hiding minor surface imperfections and irregularities."
It much feel terrible to have a ceilings with minor imperfections and irregularities! ; ) <WEG>