Are my calculations right? Board feet

http://delaware.craigslist.org/mat/652136146.html
12/4 THICK $1750.00 EACH SLAB 13FT 6 IN. LONG NARROWIST POINT IS 29 INCHES MIDDLE SECTION 32 INCHES ACROSS THE CROTCH SECTION IS 48 INCHES QUANTITY OF (7) SEVEN AVAILABLE
that works out to 16 dollars about a bf. ouch.
depictureboy wrote:

Roughly but you can't compare something like a 3" slab 48" wide w/ 4/4 mill stock.
Perhaps a little high for red oak, but I've not looked at slabs for so long I don't have a clue what premium to think is appropriate at the moment.

The local Rockler has a slab of Bubinga going for $60 per board foot, $4000 lets you have the whole stick.

This is red oak. My local supplier sells it for 2.49 a bf.

This is red oak. My local supplier sells it for 2.49 a bf.
But probably not in 3" thick slabs 13' long x 30" wide. Bubinga goes for a lot less in 4/4 stock also.
depictureboy wrote: ...

He isn't selling 3", 48" crotch slabs for that I'll wager...
dpb wrote:

Right, I understand what you are saying now I think. I do recall from the price list that some widths are a premium. And He does sell 12/4 for 7.75bf
I was thinking that if you cut that down into 4/4 @ 2.99bf you would not recoup your investment, but maybe you will. Its been a long time since geometry and trig. I was thinking about something like the parts not being greater than the sum...
Depictureboy wrote:

Generally wider/thicker boards command a premium.

The whole point of this sort of thing is to use it in a project where 4/4 isn't thick enough. You buy this to use as a single-slab table, or to resaw it for bookmatched panels, or other similar purposes.
If 4/4 is thick enough, then that's what you use. If someone wants thicker, it's going to cost because it's more rare.
Chris

Like diamonds, if you break/cut them up, the smaller pieces are less valuable than the big chunk. Thicker and wider almost always Command higher pricing. Typically in set increments the smaller the piece the lower per BF price you will have to pay and that equates to an over all cheaper price for the same amount of wood.
Leon wrote:

I found this very true......I could have gotten a really good deal on sawdust but had to rethink the board building plans after pricing glue<g>. Rod

You can buy that already glued up. MDF ;~)
depictureboy wrote:

My local fruitery sells pears for $1.99/lb., a similar comparison.
The ad is for crotch slabs.
On occasion, I visit here: <http://www.berkshireveneer.com/product3.htm and here: <http://www.berkshireproducts.com/index.htm
Veneer quality wood in slabs can't possibly be compared to "normal" red oak stock. If you check your dealer, even the basic stuff is probably significantly more expensive if it's wide.

So this would be considered veneer quality? What makes that determination? The size or that there is some crotchwood? I forget about veneering, i was thinking more along the lines of cutting to furniture usable dimensions...
depictureboy wrote:

Sometimes one or both qualities, but mainly whatever the market will pay.
The veneer dealer I posted sells higher quality veneer at sq./ft. prices similar to a bd./ft. price. For example, red oak might go ~ $2.49/sq./ft, which works out to ~ $19 bd./ft for 8 slices from a 1" board. Really special stuff is priced as "make offer" or "ask"!
The cheaper veneers sometimes sold by Rockler, et al. often isn't special.
As large trees get rarer and rarer, large slabs also become extra valuable. Sometimes, they will be kept sequential for that extra special item.
Genuinely veneer quality wood and large slabs rarely see the typical hardwood dealer.
Last week, my normal hardwood dealer had a stack of 18" wide walnut slabs right near the door, amounting to the hardwood dealer version of a Wal-Mart impulse buy display. Every time I went by the pile, the tractor beam tried to pull me in, but I don't have room to store any! <G>

So this would be considered veneer quality? What makes that determination? The size or that there is some crotchwood? I forget about veneering, i was thinking more along the lines of cutting to furniture usable dimensions...
It may or may not be veneer quality but the big factor here is that you can always get small pieces from a big piece. You can never get a big piece from a single small piece. Big pieces are more rare than small pieces and that drives the price up.
depictureboy wrote:

The value in this wood is its form . . . i.e. thick, live edge, slab. Like all unique pieces, it's priced based on what the seller perceives the market will pay. If you don't need or want live edge, large, thick slabs of oak, this is ridiculously priced. If however, you do want oak slabs that are long, thick and wide, you might find this wood appealing. If you bought this, and then cut it into dimensional lumber, you'd certainly be paying too much.
Rick http://www.thunderworksinc.com