board feet

People often have problems understanding what a "board foot" is. It's not a linear distance, despite the term "foot" in it. Yes, we all know its 144 cubic inches, that doesn't always help people understand it's a volume measure.

Today I went off on a tangent and came up with a new way of describing "board feet" to newbies.

It's just over half a gallon of tree (~5/8 gal)

Next time you're trying to describe "board feet" to someone and they're not getting it, try that and see if it helps.

DJ

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Or you could tell them that it's about a fortieth of a cubic cubit. Or a fourth of a peck. Or a sixteenth of a bushel.

Reply to
DS

DS wrote in news:05cMj.64291$TT4.9888@attbi_s22:

I had trouble with the concept of board feet too. Until I started remembering that it is a measure of volume, 1x1 ft by whatever number of linear feet, but I don't think it has to be a square foot in cross section. Just like liters don't have to be 10x10 cm in cross section by some number of decimeters high. (Yes, I grew up decimal).

Reply to
Han

I don't think it will work very well to go to the lumber yard and ask for four and a half gallons of red oak, unless your looking for sawdust. if you have trouble with lumber scale you should ponder log scale for a while. example an 8 ft log 16" in dia. is 72 board feet on doyle scale or 80 ft on scribner. ross

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen

Or, a cube of wood that is 5.25" across, high, and deep.

Reply to
Leon

Han wrote in news:Xns9A7EDBE09B718ikkezelf@130.81.64.196:

Oops I was wrong again, board feet are 12 inch wide by 1 inch thick by whatever number of feet long. Not 1x1 ft by whatever number of feet long. Sorry!

Reply to
Han

That's just plain foolish. Translate that to the number of 6 packs and you'll have something that will make a lot more sense.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You may have something there.

I'll take 388 beers of cherry and 125 beers of poplar, please.

For Andy D., that would be 291 and 93.75, based on pints!

**
**

B A R R Y

Did you hear about the hop shortage?

Damn!

**
**

B A R R Y

Considering what wood costs these days, it often comes down to a choice of wood OR beer.

Reply to
Upscale

That'll be enough of that talk Mister. Woodies and beer always went hand in hand. That's how all the ugly women got to feel good at closing time. Oh - wait - you said "wood" or beer. Sorry, my bad...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

when I get board feet my legs fall to sleep. ross

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen

"Mike Marlow" wrote

Here in California we have an airhead legislator who is attempting to legislate morality by trying to get a law passed to levy an additional $030/12 OZ can tax.

Don't hold your breath.

Have noticed that a 12 pack has gone from $9.00 to $12.00 in less than a month.

Wonder if that is the brewer's "fuel surtax charge"?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Everything with grain in it is going up. It's part of the feel-good "alternate fuels" plan. Instead of drilling in ANWR, off-shore, the North Dakota oil fields, or in various other areas of the country in which significant oil reserves exist, we are taking what should be food, converting it to fuel with a fairly low efficiency rate and proclaiming ourselves "green".

We don't have an oil shortage, we have an intelligence shortage.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Mark & Juanita wrote in news:ZMqdnYcxYaNSSp_VnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

We also have a surplus of greed.