Apricot wood

...has anyone done work with apricot? I'm doing a renovation and there's a dead apricot tree in the back yard that will get the chainsaw treatment soon...it's got a thickish trunk (maybe 12" in diameter) and several hefty limbs...there's a decent mill available as I doin't have the bandsaw capability...
cg

I'd use it for smoking barbecue, especially the limbs.
On 4/24/2010 4:29 PM, Chasgroh wrote:

I recall some one making items from Apricot and saying that it was good to work.Having seen images of the items it appears to be a very nice timber.
I beleive it was on the Aussie woodwork forums that I saw the posting with images.A search there for apricot would find the post.
Ive just acquired a ute load of Australian native pear logs ,and I can't wait until the wood is dry enough to start working it.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/index.php
--
Kevin (Bluey)
...has anyone done work with apricot? I'm doing a renovation and there's a dead apricot tree in the back yard that will get the chainsaw treatment soon...it's got a thickish trunk (maybe 12" in diameter) and several hefty limbs...there's a decent mill available as I doin't have the bandsaw capability...
cg
Sounds like it would be exciting just to find out! I would love to see some photos of it when you get it milled and after you get it all finished up.
K.
: ...has anyone done work with apricot? I'm doing a renovation and : there's a dead apricot tree in the back yard that will get the : chainsaw treatment soon...it's got a thickish trunk (maybe 12" in : diameter) and several hefty limbs...there's a decent mill available as : I doin't have the bandsaw capability...
It's a superb turning wood. What it's like as lumber I don;t know, but I would imagine it's very close grained, and that can be nice in something like a jewelry box. If it were mine I'd keep some pieces for turning, cu the rest into boards and make something to remember the tree by.
-- Andy Barss