Anyone ever turn a belt sander belt inside out to flatten a platen?

Just read that "tip" in American Woodworker" today. Has anyone here ever done it?
dave
You mean sand off the cork/graphite that's on the sheet metal, or are you going to remove that and sand the casting?
How far off can it be that you couldn't lap it with sandpaper and a flat surface? I'd bet that this haste would make waste.

It's doable but on a 6" X 48" (or any other stationary belt sander) it would abrade at the leading and trailing edges of the platen. You would be better off taking the platen to a machine shop and letting them do it correctly with a surface grinder.
Platens on portable sanders are typically removable (OK, they are on the better ones) and usually consist (OK, again, the better ones) of a removable graphite cloth or a flap of cork and sheet metal, both replaceable. Given the size (foot print) of the platens on portable machines it's doubtful that you would ever need to do it unless you use your portable upside down or in an upright position and use it to grind smaller parts (like metals) and concentrate the grinding to one spot. Again, it's easier/better to just replace the metal or graphite.
It doesn't surprise me that American Wooddorker would run such a silly idea given their demographic audience. Next month they're running a tip to use trash cans in the shop to collect and store waste until trash day. That tip won the tipper a brand new Delta diaper for his contractor's saw.
UA100

Oh man, I wish someone would have told that to me earlier! Sheesh. Trash cans, who woulda thought.

Um, the renewal is on my desk, now - although my subscription runs out with the November issue.
I don't remember seeing this particular tip (I'm going back to look ...) but it would never occur to me to try such a thing. It sounds fraught with peril!
What other publications would you guys recommend I read instead?
David member of the demographic ;-)
Fine Woodworking.
J D B wrote:

B) wrote:

Popular Woodworking Fine Woodworking
No, never done it and wouldn't. This kind of "tip" in the magazines just shows that half this stuff they recommend they have never tried. Doing this would result in the sander having a belly.

My biggest problem was that they didn't bother to review any sanders over $500, as they labeled those "industrial". Well, from everything I've heard/read, the Fisch is well worth the extra $200 over these heaps of junk (no offense).
Joe

thanks to all for the input; I was a tad skeptical about the mag's suggestion. Keeter: good info. thanks.
dave
Bay Area Dave wrote:

machine, so it really doesn't make much difference if the platen is a few thou out of flat. Second, if you wanted it flat, this is one method dead guaranteed to make it *not* flat: there's _no_way_ that doing what they describe can avoid tapering the ends of the platen. If you want it flat, take a few deep breaths until the urge goes away. It ain't that important. If you just really, really gotta have it flat, then take it to a machine shop to have it ground.
Dopey stuff like this is what made me decide not to renew my subscription when it expires. That, and the "Oops!" that appears in every project article. Can't these guys build *anything* without botching something obvious?
And then there's the "Oops!" page inside the back cover. The thing that amazes me is not that, every month, they can find somebody who did something amazingly stupid -- it's that, every month, they can find somebody who is willing to admit and describe it publicly for a measly hundred bucks. I've pulled a few dumb stunts in my life, but it would take a *lot* more than a hundred dollars to get me to attach my name to them in a national magazine.
Am I to understand you are in the camp of those who don't want Norm to show his bloopers?
A minority view in this group. I too have no time to waste learning the wrong way.