Anyone else shooting blanks?

No, it's not a personal problem. Well....it sort of is... On a couple of my nailer/staplers I've got dry-fire lockout, and on a few more I don't. Well I've now decided that all future pneumatic fastening devices will be equipped with it. It's not a huge deal, I know, but it's just one less thing to worry about. I was gluing and stapling a whole bunch of cleats this past week, and ran out of staples. I went to pull the section out of the jig, and the cleat came off in my hand. Unfortunately I had run out about 7 cleats ago. Now, I'd like to think that I'd get to a point where I was just soooo in the moment, all of the time, that I'd be fully aware of my staple situation (in addition to all the other "situations" which can come up without warning throughout this process called woodworking.) But I doubt it. And as such, I'm now a dedicated lock-out guy.
Meliora, baby.
JP

My HF nailer occasionally shoots blanks, fully loaded. About that time I add a bit of air tool oil, and try again. Sometimes I need to reseat the nail cassette.
There is a difference between when the nail is actually shot and when it's not. The gun kicks back ever so slightly, making a slightly different noise and having a slightly different feel.
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

I can feel the difference with a framer, but not with my little trimmer.
--

-MIKE-

Yeah - some you can sort of feel it. The stapler in question is a Senco SKS-L, and it's pretty beefy. I (obviously!) can't feel the difference with it.
JP

I can't feel it with my FN-250B, but I can hear it if I'm paying attention. It's a different sounding "thunk".
Of course, when the piece of wood I just nailed falls onto the floor, it also occurs to me that the nailer might be out of nails. :)

My Stanley trim nailer does the same thing and it can be frustrating. Seems like a very easy thing to design and implement, mechanically.
Makes me wonder if the newer model has it.
--

-MIKE-

I sure wish my flooring stapler had it. if it runs out when i'm nailing straighter than average boards, i could conceivably get more than a few boards down without realizing that i'm out. Conceivably. Hypothetically. Not that it's ever happened of course.
jc

Jay Pique wrote:

Been shooting blanks ever since the vasectomy in '76.

I knew someone would say it, Doug, and should have picked your number in the pool.. Great minds Do think alike!
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing