OT - Spray foam insulation for attic side wood home roof

Hello - realize its off topic but I have been impressed before by the gear heads on this group.

I visited a relative in FL over thanksgiving holiday and they are renovating a home. He had a contractor spray a foam in between the roof rafters on the plywood. He said he got the "open cell" variety and that it REALLY made his home cooler in the summer.

I'm in Houston, similar climate, and I would like to insulate, but wonder if that sort of treatment would encourage rot/mold/ and excessively restrict breathing of the wood? Our electric rates are high due to a bottleneck in transmission lines from west Texas wind farms apparently, and gas turbine rates. Saving a good deal on cooling would be a huge asset, so I'm strongly considering this type of thing. I realize that sort of like a spray-in bed liner on a truckbed, it may make it harder to do repairs or remodel.

Anyone thoughts?

Scott

Reply to
Scott

I've been watching this item for the last few days but no response from anybody.

How do you people in Houston handle this?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett