Any way around a jointer?

That's a viable alternative, DAGS on shooting board.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

I am in the same situation, and here's what I do:

I use a 13" delta planer, and a PC router in a table with a 2 1/2" freud straight bit. I take the rough stock and run it through the planer on both sides until parallelism is obtained. Then I take the best edge I have on the board and joint that using the router setup mentioned above. (See Pat Warners site on doing the edge jointing if you aren't sure). I then take the opposite edge and rip that along a fence on either the table or bandsaw.

Works great with one rare exception. If I have a stick that is warped along it's length and it's pretty long, then all the planer will do is replicate the warp, where a jointer would flatten it. I've had it happen once, but it really didn't matter if the board was slightly warped since the rest of the structure would flatten it once it was screwed in anyway. I don't feed my family doing this, and it beats spending a ton of money and space on a 12" jointer to match my planer width

Reply to
of_the_rose

============================= My thoughts exactly.... !

My small 24x24 detached shop building offered plenty of room 40 years ago when I started in the hobby.... more then I ever thought I would need (sound familiar ?)

Today I have a hard time finding a place to sit my coffee cup down.

But putting tools on rollers and "storing" them under TS wings and under workbenches or under the lathe stand is sometimes REQUIRED...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Dan, if what your looking for is a way to straighten an edge on rough stock, use your table saw with a straight edge.Leave stock 1/8" oversize, then take this amount off with next pass. This will give you an acceptable edge. I won't go into numerous other ways. hand planing,router etc.I suggest if you do not already have a jointer plane or at least a jack plane, look for either a used one or buy new.Your portable plane should be able to plane square if the fence is 90 degrees to the table. The table is too short to use to straighten an edge.Look for a handplane at least 18" long with a decent iron.

mike

Reply to
mike

Bob G. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

So, Bob, I ask this in all seriousness: What will you do when the next large tool follows you home? I have very much the same problem, and my wife has laid claim on the bedroom the youngest said he was vacating this month. I've been setting up a 'remote shop' at my father's place, with some of the things I need to 'do a few things' up there. And he's got some of my timber in his basement space.

Is there a 12 step program?

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I have some of my least used machinery in the den, which amuses my wife to no end.

  1. Clear a site
  2. Think up a plan
  3. Purchase materials
  4. Pour a foundation
  5. Erect a structure
  6. Roof it
  7. Insulate it
  8. HVAC it
  9. Wire it
  10. Drywall it
  11. Fill it up with machinery
  12. Repeat when full

When you run out of room, try getting a survey of your property, and bribe the surveyor to whoopsie and err on the side of drawing the line so you can put your new shop where your neighbor's silly rose garden used to be.

Run lots of big noisy iron out there, and when the neighbor gets furious with the whole situation and moves out, let your grass grow 12' tall and park a bunch of rusted out Camaros and Trans Ams in your front yard on blocks. Walk around in your underwear and scratch your ass and fart a lot whenever the house next door is being shown. Eventually the Realtor will just give you the thing to get rid of it. Then you can rip out the walls and build more shop inside.

Repeat until you have acquired the entire neighborhood in this fashion.

Eventually you will have one of everything, and plenty of room to put it all. It gets expensive bribing all those surveyors and local government officials though.

Oh, and don't forget to cut your grass and get rid of the cars when finished.

Reply to
Silvan