Any thoughts on the Delta 37-190 jointer?

I've found one for sale locally less than $100, including an extra set of knives.
I read from various reviews that knife setup can be somewhat of a pain.
I currently either use by Delta 13" planer or router table, with the outfeed fence shimmed forward.
ThankX, Ron
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 21:30:53 -0400, Ron wrote:

Sounds like a pretty good deal, but take a straight edge to make sure the tables aren't bowed. If they are straight, you should find it has enough adjustment to align everything to your satisfaction with some patience.
I bought a used one for a bit more and managed to get the tables aligned to within a few thousandths after some experimentation with the infeed gib screws. With a good straight edge, dial calipers and a feeler gage you'll be able to do just fine for a 6" jointer.

Ron wrote:

Also, with your straight-edge and a machinist square, make sure the fence is straight and not twisted. I had a 37-190 a number of years ago; the fence was twisted greater than 1/32". Made getting a jointable surface a bit of a challenge.

Sounds like a good deal assuming the beds are flat, fence is straight, motor works, etc.

That's pretty much the case with all of them that use regular knives. I've only needed to do it a couple of times, in the two years I've owned a jointer. It's a bit tedious, but not too bad. Unless you use it a lot or ding one of the blades, you probably won't have to change them out that frequently. Also, get a hone[1] for the blades and that'll help reduce the frequency with which you need to change out the blades.
Here's a tip for you, that may not be in the manual for your jointer--it wasn't in the manual for my Delta jointer: take the belt off the pully when you're changing the knives. There's *nothing* about this in my manual, and with the belt on, it makes manually turning the cutter head and getting it to stay in one spot difficult.
[1]: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G3631

remove ".invalid".