Another Newbe Jointer Question

Another jointer question (seems to be a million of them!) Hope this is a bit different from the many others I have read here. Given finances, I cannot get the jointer of my dreams. Like a million newbes, I was thinking about a 6 inch delta or jet but noticed a 6 inch Pwermatic in a local shop with a much longer bed. (66" vs. 46".) I can just about swing the price (under $700) and am under the impression that Powermatic is quite a good brand. Am I right? The machine looked great, though I did not pull out a straightedge or square yet. On the other hand, for the same money I can get a higher Hp (1 1/2 vs. 1Hp), 8 inch Grizzly with a higher RPM. Since I cannot see the Grizzly, and must get it through the mail, I am not as secure in such a purchase. I know some folk like the Grizzlys, but am under the impression it is not as good a brand as powermatic. Is the higher quality of powermatic a better choice? (I know it partly depends on how likely I am to want to joint 8 inch boards: truth is when gluing up a table top, I have usually ripped larger boards down to less than six inches, often four inches, and them glued them up. I guess if I had an 8 inch jointer I might joint 8 inch boards, though.)

General questions: how important is RPM? Oddly, the $800 Grizzly has lower RPM than the $700 Grizzly, 3450 vs. 5000, according to toolseeker.com.

Also, do handwheels vs. levers make much difference? Is one supposed to be better than the other? Advertisers seem to say which ever one their product has is better!

Thanks for the help. Sanford Levy

Reply to
Sanford Levy

I can't comment on any of them except the Grizzly. I worked superbly - 6" - handwheels - set up time with assembly was about 1 hour and every time I ever checked it for accuracy - it was dead on.

Jim Mc Namara

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

If you buy the 6" powermatic or whatever, in a few years or month you will want the 8" Grizzly, and by the way lots of info here on the 8" Grizzly,sounds like a very good buy as well.

Reply to
martin

maybe the $800 Grizzly has a 4 knife cutter head?

my delta has a handwheel on the outfeed and a lever on the infeed table. l think it works out ok. l would not want a lever on the outfeed, but have never used one on the outfeed. Thanks, Tony D,

Reply to
Tony D.

The Powermatic is the one to get. My second choice would be the 6", closed stand Jet, (JJ-6CSX). Third choice, an open stand Jet,(JJ-6OS). The 6" Delta, (37-195), is off my list after looking at one last night at a local tool store. The Delta's table height adjustment is a little cheesy IMO, also the support for the fence sticks WAY out the back side of the machine. I would by a Grizzly before I would buy the 37-195 Delta! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

========================================= I have used and owned a Rockwell 6 in Jointer for close to 40 years and it has been bullet proof and extremely dependable... THE ONLY PROBLEM I have ever had using this jointer is its short bed (about 40 inches)... Personally the only reason for I can think to upgrade would be for a jointer with a longer bed... PERIOD.... Sure an 8 in jointer would be useful a hell of a lot of times but that limitation usually does not become a factor in 90 percent of my usage...BUT the lenght of the bed has been a problem... In short I "value" the bed length much much more then the cutting width...

Yes the Powermatic is a good (lol actually good is an understatement imho) brand... Whereas I also have this thing for Big Block (rat motor) older Chevys .. I can live with a "mouse motors" (small blocks) ...so I do not see anything wrong with a jointer (6 in) using a 1 hp motor...

I have used jointers with wheels and levers...(the rockwell has levers) and I just do not think one is any better or worst then the other...my prefenrece would be for levers but only because I am used to using a jointer with levers... to me this is not a critical "deal"

The only Grizzley tool I own is a dust collector...had it for about 15 years now and it has been

100 percent reliable ..only thing I ever did to it was replace the bag with a bag which filtered smaller particles... From what I have read (in this news group etc) I would not be afraid to buy a Grizzley tool....

.Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

The extra width is useful for more than face jointing. Say you are jointing edges on 4/4 wood for a glue-up. You are only using 1" of the knives at that moment. There is no reason the fence can't slide to a different section of the knives next time you joint. The point is that

8" knives can edge more linear feet than 6" between sharpenings.

I have an older 8" Grizzly that a) had a mal-formed casting on the infeed table when it arrived, b) was replaced without too much hassle except for the extra loading, lugging, and unloading, and c) has been problem free ever since.

I have levers, have never had the (joy? pain?) of handwheels. I hardly ever (never say never) adjust my outfeed table. When knives are sharpened or changed they are set to the outfeed table height. The appropriate question is whether you need the ability to precisely adjust your infeed table height. Do you joint one side, then rip to width on the table saw? Or do you joint one side, rip the other wide then joint the ripped edge -- like Norm used to do and maybe still does -- in this case you better know how much your jointer is removing on each pass with good precision? Personally, I prefer to use a really good saw blade and don't joint the ripped edge.

Good luck,

hex

-30-

Reply to
hex

Star machinery makes an affordable 8" jointer...

like mine! Tom

Reply to
noone

I went through the same decision about a year ago and chose the Powermatic 54A (Extra long bed) over the 8' griz, primarily because I didn't think that I could get the 460 pound Griz 8" down the basement! The 54A is fantastic and I have no regrets. I saw the Griz at their show room in Springfield MO and was very impressed with it. If I had a bigger shop with easy access I probably would have gone with the Griz. The 54A by the way has a unique way to raise and lower the bed. You have a handle that raises it up and down for fast course adjustments that also rotates for fine adjustments.

Scott

vmtw

Please read article on Jointer in Fine Woodworking winter 2002 issue It compares 11 jointers . This is "Tool test 6 In Jointer " You might be able to download this article from their web site.

Which feature?

I looked the Delta over well, even the salesman recommended either Jet over the Delta. After looking at them I had to agree. When I walked in my first choice had been Delta, but after "messing" around with them the Delta was a looser! The height adjustment had this screwy ratchet affair, it did not inspire confidence. With the support sticking way out the back it also lowers points for the jointer. Both Jet jointers had good feel with the adjustments and were easier to set to a certain height with the cranks. The Jet machines were also a bit more compact, with the same length tables. The Delta wanted to be set where ever the ratchet stop was. The salesman was nudging me towards the open stand Jet, he felt it had the most bang for the buck. I probably will spend the extra $100 for the closed stand though.There are some differences between the open and closed stand models, I tough they were the same other than the base. The cranks on the open stand are under the tables, and it has a 3/4 HP motor. The closed stand Jet has a 1 HP motor, and the cranks are on the side, slightly easier to reach. Greg

Reply to
Greg O