Another great display of safety on Junk Brothers

Watching Junk Borthers last night on HGTV, and they were crosscutting what looked like 3-4' x 1' sheets of plywood FREEHAND on the table saw!

I should send them an email, those guys shouldn't be near a table saw....

Reply to
Locutus

Oh yeah, no guard or splitter either...

Reply to
Locutus

"Locutus" wrote

I remember an episode of The Red Green Show where they had a bench top table saw going with the blade fully exposed. They then tossed short chunks of 2 X 4 at it. The wood would hit the blade and bounce off at different angles and shoot across the room. It was scary.

I know it is supposed to be comedy. But that sort of thing could very easily result in injury. I was in shock when I saw it.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

To be clear, it was raised to its maximum height. Looked to be at least a 10" blade, but they might have modified the saw to take a 12" blade. It looked HUGE.

I think that was the very first R-G show I saw and had a somewhat similar reaction. Didn't he end that skit by turning the whole saw upside down on the workbench so that it ran off out of camera view?

Reply to
fredfighter

It is reassuring to me to know that I was not the only one who saw this thing and was a little upset about it.

And yes, the table saw did an exit right from the stage.

I assume that a paramedic crew was standing by when they shot this episode.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

How about in the same episode when he crosscut a piece off that footboard using the damn rip fence-- on the cutoff side-- for a guide? He just sort of threw the whole thing through the blade. The piece he cut off and which referenced the rip fence wasn't even riding flush on the table. I rewound it and showed it to my fiance several times and said "never do that!"

All it takes is you lose your grip on one such cut, and it twists or bounces between the fence and the blade, and PAYOW! Right in the jewels. Hell, I'd pay to see the outtakes from this show.

BTW, they studiously avoided showing the nameplate or even the color of the saw, and yet I instantly went, oh look, a P-C 3812. Tool geek.

Reply to
boorite

Yes I noticed that as well! I mainly just watch the show now to see what stupid things they can do with the tablesaw. :)

Reply to
Locutus

Just want to share another observation, as they worked they were also drinking a cold beer. Which I enjoy, but not in the shop! - Then he passed out on the couch with his dog... Gets up and goes right back at it... true sign of safety !

Reply to
outhouse

Yes, two things you need around power tools: pets and booze, the more the better. Mix with prescription medication, and you can make up your own safety rules and even laws of physics.

Reply to
boorite

Best I recall they were all quite some distance away and the likelihood of injury pretty minimal (not to say it is recommended use of the saw, but it isn't a home improvement show...as for the final scene, I don't even recall that part, but all the skits I've seen have been pretty obviously staged. I suspect if one were on the set you would find a whole lot of preparation and clever camera angles, etc., go into actually making what appears on the screen much more spectacular than the actual process...

In short, my take is to take Red Green as intended and if it bothers you, watch something else. Not having cable or satellite, I've never seen the other thing referred to in the thread so have no clue about it. (From the time when did have HGTV, can't imagine ever turning it on even if did, but then again, times change...)

Reply to
dpb

Suggest that they at least use a push-stick; or better yet, use the safety-guard!

It's always fascinating to see the transformation of junk to treasure, I guess it's the closest thing to alchemy.

I'm both impressed and amused that the Junk Bros. return the refinished items, and montior the original owners reactions. Reminds me of guys who are like (thoughtful) frat-boy Communists. I also noticed that Canadian shows get tax-credits for these productions; most impressive!

I wonder what percentage of the owners keep or sell their returned (reincarnated) items?

It might be wise to forage for items during daylight hours (marked as FREE); as some people might be startled and summon the police on the Junk-Brothers.

Here in the states, many of us would resell, or keep restored items; no tax-credits for trash-to-treasure ventures!

Reply to
socraticquest

Personally, I think the show is a waste of time. It's fine that something can be transformed into something that might be useful, but for the most part, what they're making is a waste of material and effort considering that most people wouldn't *want* what they made. The best thing they made was the stove to barbeque (coincidentally the very first show) and then they've gone downhill from there. I mean, think about it ~ a bicycle into a ceiling fan? That was completely ridiculous. Maybe some freak might put one up where he lived, but most people would run for the hills.

Reply to
Upscale

I believe they were stopped by a cop in a recent episode. But he let them go about their business onece they explained what they were doing. However, being a TV show, it's hard to tell what was real and what was set up for dramatic effect.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon