An Ultimate Router Table

Reply to
Pat Barber

On 13 Dec 2004 08:03:10 -0800, "Jake" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

What they're all trying to say is that the OP did not actually build the table. He simply posted a link.

Reply to
Old Nick

Jake: I didn't build the table, just provided the link. If the thumbscrews you mean are those that level the router plate with the top of the table, then you should find them at any reasonably well-equipped hardware store. BUT, ping the site in the OP and get the builder's take on it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

This one is sweet.

Izn't that a microwave cart? At least it's not one of Norm's sewing cabinet/router table.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

A couple things I'd do differently.....

1) No casters if possible. I've had a router table start sliding around on me more than once before during an operation.... it REALLY sucks. (yes mobility is nice for small shops though....) 2) I'd nuke the drawers or move them to the left so that the downdraft port could go all the way under the carriage, even with the Incra Jig all the way "back". What's the point of built-in dust collection if it only works through 1/2 the range of your jig?.

3) widen the "right" side of the table so that Jig carriage isn't hanging a foot off the edge of the table.... It's just begging to have someone walk into it or have an 8' plank of hard maple fall on it and trash your $200 jig (or does that sort of thing only happen in MY shop?). AT LEAST do something about the fine-adjustment knob which is just begging to snag on somebody's ribs.

4) I like how he did the split-fence thing, but that won't work with the right angle jig that (I thought) comes with the fence. Otherwise it's pretty whammy.
Reply to
Never Enough Money

No, it's a rather nice router table. The fact that it doesn't weigh 400 pounds doesn't disqualify it.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Nicew table, nice workmanship. But...

One thing I'd do differently is try not to pull the dust down but up, on the notion that the less dust going down into the router the better. I realize some is going to get down there (and you prolly want to vacuum it out, but I'd rather not add encouragement toward that end. fence has the dust port sucking it upward and out.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

Nobutt, the heavier, the more stable it is. I had my temporary router table set up that probably weighed 40 lbs or so. My new shop built probably weighs 150. On casters the sucker doesn't move a bit. Heavier is better in this case imho ymmv. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

So no points for the nice thing I said about it?

UA100, who does think there should be at least one point for the nice thing he said about it...

Reply to
Unisaw A100