Aluminium Saw Table Top

Page 3 of 3
RedEd wrote:

Already debated to death, but I wanted to offer the perspective of direct personal experience. I've had an aluminum table saw for 5-6 years now. The two factors mentioned both play a big part in my decision to keep it waxed.
Oxidized aluminum rubs off easily, and it leaves black streaks all over the wood. These streaks are a bitch to get off/out, and they're just not cool at all. It also really does make wood slide much more easily. There's little doubt when the table needs another shot of wax.
I use Johnson's on it. I've never had any finish problems from wax rubbing off onto the wood.
Here's my $.02: 1) Aluminum is crappy material for saw tables, planer beds, etc. It has much more "tooth" than cast iron and, therefore. there is more friction to overcome when pushing something (like a piece of wood) over it. It is used because it is CHEAPER not because it is better. 2) Alum. can (as has been pointed out) cause discoloration of the wood as it it softer than cast iron and can actually be transfered to the wood. 3) Anodizing is only a temporary solution since the coating will wear off. 4) Wax does not cause fish eye. Silicone causes fish eye. Period. 5) "Good quality" pastewax does not contain silicone. 6) "Good quality" pastewax, applied to a metal table, allowed to "dry" for a few min. and buffed out with a clean rag, will not transfer to your wood. 7) You can wax your tables (cast iron, aluminum, PL, wood...whatever) with impunity as long as you follow step six. How do I know all of this? Because I have been regularly waxing my tables (with TreWax) for over 30 years and I have never had any problems. This might be a good time to point out that: 1) I have also been using lacquer finishes for 30 years and that 2) because I forbid anything containing silicone in my shop I have never had a problem with fish eye. Wax away. DD
"It's easy when you know how..." Johnny Shines
For waht it is worth, gunsmaiaths have a terrible time bluing a weapon that has been sprayed with silicone. If it will soak that deeply into metal (and metal DOES absorb) then it must be potent stuff. I hate it inide the house.
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:57:18 -0800, David DeCristoforo

Another good reason to keep the stuff out of the shop... DD
"It's easy when you know how..." Johnny Shines