"Alternative" Handrail finish

Hi group, I was wondering what others might have done as an alternative finish for a wooden handrail. I have a 1923 house and the rail is 'antiqued' but is made of a pretty figureless wood (may also be poplar). I know the newels are poplar, not sure of the balusters, but they are all painted. I don't want to bother scraping down the handrail because I don't think the work will be worth it. I don't want to paint it the same color as the balusters. My wife suggested a crackle finish. Anyone have any other ideas/suggestions? Thanks! Chas
Chas12 wrote:

Crackle finish on a handrail will pick up a lot of dirt.