akeda dovetail jig

so I finally decide to break down a buy an akeda jig and I'll be darned that there has been a shortage on these things and they aren't available now. I called the jigstore and got some blond who really wasn't much help. does anyone have any information when these jigs are going to be available? thanks in advance
On 9/14/2011 10:50 AM, Dave redon wrote:

IIRC they have been unavailable for most of this year and last.
On 9/14/2011 10:50 AM, Dave redon wrote:

If you find out let us know here. I've been trying to buy one for two years.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

How did you find out that he or she was blond? :)
does anyone have any information when these jigs are

He would be Blond she would be Blonde :-)
--
Stuart Winsor

Dave redon wrote the following:

Does it have to be an Akeda?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Is $50 a lot for one? ;)
http://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/2593094671.html
Probably already gone, but...
RicodJour wrote the following:

Not enough information. What size jig does the OP want and what size jig is the seller offering? Where is the OP, anywhere near Hartford, CT? BTW, I checked my local CL and there were none there, neither were there any on eBay. Also, Akeda does not know, or say, that their products are no longer available. http://www.akeda.com /
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I've bought stuff off Craigslist from across the country. It's supposedly just local, but some people will entertain the idea of shipping. If I want it bad enough I'll offer the guy a premium to ship it - toss in another $20 on top of the shipping cost for the guy's trouble, and send the guy money upfront through PayPal using my credit card. There are a few risks, but nothing insurmountable.
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:49:56 -0400, willshak wrote:

On http://www.akeda.com/find-a-dealer.html :
"Notice
AKEDA is experiencing a temporary shortage of jigs. Parts and accessories are not affected. We appreciate your patience.
When we have an ETA on the next shipment it will be posted here. "

On 9/15/2011 11:39 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

That's been there for the almost two years that I've been checking.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 9/15/2011 11:39 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

They haven't said it, but might as well--that "temporary shortage" has been two years or more now that folks have been posting of not being able to order them(+).
IMO, they're effectively out of business. No idea what the real problem must be, but there seems little point in the status quo for either them or the woodworking community.
$0.02, etc., etc., etc., of course...
(+) Oh, in looking, now I see Karl did note his frustration--I'm pretty sure I recall others who've posted here as well.
Similar to my experience w/ Freud on their planer knives--I had standing order refreshed every month for nearly three years that never was delivered. They finally "won" when the update/reconfirm order mechanism was modified to require a manual response instead of an autobot reply and I was out of town and they had canceled the order by the time I got back. Great price offered for solid carbide knives but didn't cost 'em a thing as long as they never had product to actually deliver.
dpb wrote the following:

Joke follows: A guy walks into a store to buy an Akeda Dovetail Jig. The clerk says, "We have it, it's (insert price here)" The guy says, "Why so much, the store cross town sells them for (insert lower price here)". The clerk says, "Well, why don't you buy it there"? The guy says, "There out of them". The clerk says, "Well, when we are out of them, we sell them for that price too."
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote the following:

Brain fart. 'They're' instead of 'There'.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 9/15/2011 2:31 PM, willshak wrote:

Yeah. The difference w/ the Freud incident I had was they could use it as a loss-leader kind of come on (apparently) since they did/do have other product that they do actually sell. Akeda, afaict, really doesn't have anything else under this guise and it's difficult to imagine there's any revenue of significance generated from whatever parts they actually have/sell or accessories to what must be a _very_ limited audience that actually has one of their jigs.
It is a puzzle as to what must be going on. I conjecture it must be something like a health or other similar issue w/ a sole proprietorship-type organization so there's nobody to mind the store when something happens. But, who knows????
It's all a mystery but it surely seems there's no reason for anybody to wait and expect to get one any time _real_soon_now_ (tm).

I bought an Akeda jig setup when they were available. I had trouble setting it up so it would give nicely fitting tails and pins, and I damaged something (IIRC) in trying - I think it was one of the plastic thingies that guide the router. That was a while ago. I'll have to try again some time, but if it doesn't work right for me, I might be persuaded to let it go ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 9/14/2011 6:49 PM, willshak wrote:

Yes they do. It's right on the "find a dealer" page. The availability of the Akeda jig has always been spotty. I thought it would have been gone by now.