Air nailers and dogs

Has anyone expirenced an issue with their dog while or after using an air nailer. My little guy (a maltese) shivered for about an hour. He wasn't in the same room. The only thing we could contribute it to was using the nailer.

Dave - Parkville

Reply to
Dave - Parkville, MD

Some dogs have a propensity to get "gun shy" from loud, sharp sounds ... I would say you have a "gun shy" pooch.

Reply to
Swingman

Yep, I agree, having observed very much the same thing.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Hey, Doug ... don't mean to hijack the thread, but how's that Eagle Scout doing?

It's a good bet you still have a case of the "proud papas". :)

Reply to
Swingman

Ours is Maltese and Poodle mix...and she wants me to pick her up every time a woodpecker makes its typical sound. She also goes all goofy when I start the burr-grinder for my morning coffee. No fan of the garburator either. She used to get spooked by passing motorcycles but no longer pays any attention to them. Nailgun? I have a feeling she'd freak.

Reply to
Robatoy

Gun shy dogs are pretty common. It can be a real problem around the Fourth of July, some dogs scared out of their wits and run off in a panic, never to be recovered. A neighbor last their dog this way.

I'm no expert, but I've seen info on tv about how to train a dog to not be gun shy. You start out by doing the initial training during feeding, when all their attention is on getting that food from the dish to their tummy. While they are eating, bang a cooking pot with a spoon, starting slowly and not too loud. Over time, you just keep raising the volume of the banging, later moving to louder noises, all this while they are eating. I suppose you move up to party poppers, blanks, whatever, until they no longer spook at loud noises. I've never done it, but it makes perfect sense.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Did you nail his tail or ears?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in

LMAO

As someone mentioned, he also got nervous on 4th of July.

Dave - Parkville, MD

Reply to
Dave - Parkville, MD

My dog totally freaks on the 4th and/or New Years but has no problem with any tools being used. Power tools (hand, bench, or stationary), hand tools, etc. are no problem. I've never used a powder charged driver around him, though.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

My dog hates the air nailer. I don't think it is the noise, something to do with the air pressure and feeling the waqve in his ears.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Reply to
upscale

I'm sure it was just a new noise situation and probably could be attenuated by repeated similar but lower intensity noises if you wanted to put the effort in.

I took my indoor cat over to my friend's place to introduce her to grass and the outdoors because she'd never seen them before. I put her in the back yard with a harness on and a 6 foot leash attached to it staked to the ground. It started to rain and thunder. She was fine with it all watching with interest while sitting under the outcropping of the rear porch. She had heard it all before while looking out my apartment window. Ten minutes into the thunder and lightening, it started to hail and she started shaking uncontrollably in fear. Had to take her inside at that time. Took a number of minutes for her to calm down.

Reply to
sweetnothing

As I am typing our "shy" Great Dane and I share the area under the desk because I brought a 12' board inside the house this morning.

Reply to
Leon

Have two dauchounds, the mini one goes nuts whenever I use my DeWalt 18v drill and Passload finish nailer. He is not spooked by the nailer, it is the fan that drives him nuts. The other, long haired regular barely will lift his head when I am working around him...go figure :-)

Reply to
SteveA

One of our schnauzers is the same way. She stays in our bed the whole time and shakes well after.

cm

Reply to
cm

I've got two golden retrivers. One doesn't seem bothered by anything. The other one has no problem with fireworks, shotguns, or air nailers but cowers when the automatic ice maker in the freezer kicks on???

Reply to
Nova

I suspect that this is a prime cause. My dog also hates the cans of compressed air used to dust keyboards.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal