air compressor water seperator ?

I have a new Coleman compressor. Do those glass things one can install on the hose line really work? When I drain the bottom valve I get a little water out of it. Thanks

Reply to
Bob

Yes they do. However, you will still get some from the tank when you drain it. The separators only take care of moisture that makes it out of the tank into the air lines.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Up to that point only. If I use a lot of air and the compressor runs a lot condensation will form in the line after the water separator. Place the separator as close to your tool as possible for maximum benefit.

Reply to
Leon

Yes they do work, but understand that in the process of compressing air and using that air, you will always create water. That means that you tank will always build up water in it and need to be drained periodically and you lines will always accumulate water. The separator serves the purpose of trapping most of that water so that it does not get to your spray gun or your air tools, but it too has to be drained periodically. You can purchase a relief valve that goes in place of the petcock drain on your tank, and plumbs into the pressure switch line, and those will automatically blow off a small amount of air from your tank every time the compressor cycles. They work well to reduce the water buildup in your tank, but I really don't know if they work perfectly. If you don't buy one of those and just go with a separator, you will have to drain both the tank and the separator from time to time based on usage.

Reply to
Mike Marlow