aeresol lacquer

The poor man's clear coat:
I've used Rustoleum spray lacquer with excellent results but after a few days - if I don't let it cure for at least a month - I get crazing/checking in the finish. I polish the stuff up to 2000 grit then use 3M compounds and glaze. Looks incredible but the checking is killing me! I'm doing this on maple with water based analine dye, deft lacquer sanding sealer (aerosol) and my question is...if I use deft aerosol lacquer will I have better results? I've heard that the deft is actually nitro in a can with some solids added, and others have said they don't have the crazing problems with it. I just wanted to fish for other opinions.
Thanks!
Too many coats too fast?
--
Rumpty

yeah, that's what I was thinking too but I have heard that the deft won't give you that trouble with too much too fast. problem is, and I think it's just a matter of me having to chill a bit, that I have demand to meet and only one me to do the work and only so many hours in the evening to get the work done. Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming pleeeze!

Too many coats too fast will cause prolonged drying times, but they should not cause drying times that are measured in days and even longer. One thing I can assure you is that even though the schedule seems to breathe right down your neck, everytime you rush it, push it, ignore the manufacturer's advice, you end up with more time tacked on the project. Resist the temptation to rush it and follow the manufacturer's instructions. You'll come out better with respect to your schedule.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Words to live by!
Vaughn wrote:

Or die (dye?) beneath! 8^)
Vaughn wrote:

H. Behlen's Lacquers work great from a spray bomb.
You could also try a shellac barrier coat, like Seal Coat or Zinnser spray-on clear, underneath the Rustoleum.
Barry
thanks, appreciate the suggestion!

How can it be excellent results if the finish checks? Checking in the finish is an indicator of reaction between the coat you spray on and whatever is beneath it. Rustoleum in particular is well known for very slow drying times. The finish may seem to be hard to the touch, but can still be bleeding solvents and that will cause nothing but problems. The first thing I would do would be to use a different product than Rustoleum. I don't use Rustoleum for anything, and I do a lot of painting. Try Plasticoat products or Krylon products. And... make sure you are not mixing lacquers and enamels on your different coats. Very bad mix.

The best way to know this is to try it. Just to be rid of the Rustoleum product in your process would be an accomplishment.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
I've used Deft for many projects. It's not as durable as urethane or maybe even other lacquers but it's *almost* idiot proof. I like it a lot.

idiot proof? duuuuhhh, I can get behind that ;-). I shot sprayed some last night, levels out and dries fast. pretty cool stuff.