Advice Needed - Used Shopsmith Mark V

I have the opportunity to buy a 1960s model "Anniversary Edition" Shopsmith Mark V.

Price: $100.00

The machine is not running possibly because the speed control is in need of replacement (stripped or something).

It comes with a bandsaw attachment.

Should I buy it? Can I easily bypass the speed control to test the motor? I have never seen these machines before other than in pictures.

Bob

Reply to
BobsGoogle

Russ

"Russ" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Russ is correct in his recommendations. If you are at all mechanically handy, you can make this a really useful machine in your shop. Almost all the parts and diagrams are readily available.

There's a pretty good users group on Yahoo, I understand.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Part of me says $100 - What the heck give it a try. You can afford to spend a little more money on it.

The other part of me says for a little more money you might be able to pick up a newer machine on ebay or from a local classified. It is not all that uncommon to see 10 - 15 year old machines priced in lower hundreds. Shopsmiths are well made machines but they lose their attractiveness with a lot of users. I have seen several posts, very similar to yours, here and on ABPW during the past few months so the market is active.

If you decide to buy, grab all of the rotating and adjustment parts (shafts, trunnions, etc) and try to detect looseness. Also rotate them by hand to detect rough bearings, binding, etc. As another post suggest, if you are mechanical minded it might be a fun restoration project. You might also want to check SS for parts prices. A machine can collect a lot of wear in

30 to 40 years.
Reply to
RonB

The Mark V speed control is mechanical. The crank knob moves an adjustable sheave, altering the effective ratio of the belts and pulleys. Even if the speed adjustment is busted, the motor should run when you turn on the switch.

IIRC, SS has a powerhead reconditioning program where they completely recondition the power head for a fixed charge, which used to be something like $400. Don't know if they still offer that or what the current rate is; you may be able to find it on the web site.

I've had a Mark V (now upgraded to a 510) for over 20 years and it still runs fine. I replaced one little bearing a few years back and that's it for repairs. Other than the stuff in the powerhead, there's not too much expensive that tends to wear out. Even if you had to spend the $400-500 to have the powerhead reconditioned, if everthing else is in good shape, you end up ok in my book.

I've graduated to separate tools now that I have space, but I still find the SS handy for lots of stuff so I keep it around.

If you search the wreck archives for shopsmith, you will find endless threads debating pro's and con's. Read up and decide if you would be happy with it if you had to spend a few hundred to fix it up, and if so, go for it.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Thanks fellas

I was leaning that way and you cinched it for me. It does seem like a really good deal. I got on the phone with the company and they said that all parts can be replaced even on old machines such as this one (that is if I can't fix or find used).

Bob

Reply to
BobsGoogle

The used market has gone down on Shopsmiths the last couple of years. The result is that there are folks out there buying used machines cheap and parting them out on ebay. You should be able to get most any major parts needed used at good prices (compared to Shopsmith's rather high prices at least). Certain things should NOT be purchased used though and these include the parts to fix that speed control. Go to the Shopsmith.com web site and look in their on-lone catalog for the 17 most ordered parts. You will find that the handle and the "porkchop" gear are there. They are not outragous and they give good directions for the install. You will find that customer support ranks right up there with Lee Valley (amazinga US company anywhere near Canadian Customer Service levels). Other things I would not buy used are belts and the upgrade 2 bearing quill. Last advice is to keep in mind that you have what is now called a model

500 and you do not want to be buying certain parts that fit model 510s and 520s. These would be saw tables, extension tables fences, arbors, sanding disks (the actual steel disks, not the sandpaper), etc. Have Shopsmith send a printed catalog - everything is clearly labeled as to which models of Mark V they fit ( as well as whether they fit the 10E's, 10-ER's, Mark II's and Mark VII's no longer in production). The catalog also has a very detailed exploded diagram and parts list for the Mark Vs and major add-on tools such as the bandsaw, jointer, beltsander, strip sander, etc.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Done Deal. I bought it. As you said, the motor does actually run even though the speed control is shot. It looks like its age for sure but I am going to buy a catalog and fix it up. A whole new head unit is like $1140 with the new motor and all that so who knows, maybe I will get that if the rest of the machine is performing well. It is still in pieces in my basement at this point.

Thanks for the help and I will definitely be back in here with questions and maybe at some point, advice for the next newcomer.

Bob

Reply to
BobsGoogle

snipped-for-privacy@genevasi.com (BobsGoogle) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

The speed control may not be shot, the dial may just be loose. On mine, the dial loosens up and turning it to change speed does not produce the desired result. After getting the dial appropriately tightened (at this instant I can't remember how) I'm back in business.

Take a look at the SS web site and get the SS book and the Parts Manual

*before* you buy anything for it. There is a lot of good information on maintenance, repair, and tuning.

Good luck with it.

LD

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Check ebay. The headstock units, used but much newer than yours, regularly sell in the $300 range. That should get you upgraded to the

1 1/8 hp motor, the two bearing quill, the new poly V belt system (compared to your gilmer belt system - SS chaged systems in the early 1960's), and the new switch type. Look for units from at least the middle 1980's but you can usually find one from the 1990s if you check ebay periodically. On the other hand, those 1950s headstocks are running all over and all parts are available. If all it needs is the speed control I would get the parts and fix it up.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

congrats! if nothing else, you've probably bought $500 worth of parts, from what I see selling on ebay..

I'm on my 2nd mark V.. (lost 1 in a divorce) Great machine for folks with limited space.... very good table saw for small, intricate cuts but you'll need a radial or cutoff saw to supplement it..

I love the lathe but use it mostly for a router and drill press.. you can do all 3 without tilting it, which can get old quickly.. once you get used to horizontal drilling and routing, you'll only tilt it up for special jobs..

Also, lots of shopsmith sites and groups out there for help and parts..

Mac

Reply to
mac davis