Advice needed on PC4212

I have been researching dovetail jigs both from a price standpoint as well as a functionality standpoint and find my head spinning.
I am seeking a good dove tail jig that will do both half blind and through dovetails and does not require a Master's degree to use. It needs to be easy to use with little set up and limited practice cuts if any. It is not a tool that I will use in high production, but for occasional hobby only use.
I about have it down to the PC4212. Can anyone share their experience and knowledge with this model? Is it a good choice for the needs I have stated above? It sure looks good from everything I have been able to find on the internet as well as their video demos.
Please help me make a decision on this as I am deadlocked.
I would rather cut dovetails by hand, but due to a disability, I must use power tools.
Thanks for any pro or cons you can offer.
I have a PC4212. If you fallow instruction and are careful, setup is no problem. Test cuts will be needed though. Not much of a way you are going to get away from that with any jig. Dovetails are picky joints, accept it. BTW, that jig does half blind only.
[...]
Correction, I have the older model. Disregard.

not
stated
CW,
I could already see it coming :)
Thanks for trying to help though.

well
through
and
the
use
Bob,
I have the new PC 4212. It does both joints you listed as well as dovetail slides, and others with a template. The first joint I did was a half blind, and it looked excellent on a desk drawer, and I had never done a dovetail joint in my life (I am certainly not a phd either).
Joe
Bob wrote:

dovetails and does not require a Master's degree to use. It needs to be easy to use with little set up and limited practice cuts if any. It is not a tool that I will use in high production, but for occasional hobby only use.

knowledge with this model? Is it a good choice for the needs I have stated above? It sure looks good from everything I have been able to find on the internet as well as their video demos.

Joe,
Thanks for the recommendation. This is what I am hoping to hear that will push me over the edge and help me pull the trigger.
Thanks, Bob

well as a functionality standpoint and find my head spinning.

through dovetails and does not require a Master's degree to use. It needs to be easy to use with little set up and limited practice cuts if any. It is not a tool that I will use in high production, but for occasional hobby only use.

and knowledge with this model? Is it a good choice for the needs I have stated above? It sure looks good from everything I have been able to find on the internet as well as their video demos.

use power tools.

The Akeda, particularly at Woodcraft's current sale price, is pretty attractive. Maybe twice the price of the Porter Cable, but much more versatile.
As to the learning curve, it was maybe 40 minutes to rubber hammer tight through dovetails in all four joints in a red oak box I made, when I first bought the jig, almost three years ago.
Like the new Porter Cable, this one is built like a truck.
Patriarch
Patriarch,
When you say the Akeda is more versatile than the PC4212 could you please provide some details? I would be curious as to what more the Akeda can do over the PC and why I would consider paying nearly double. I hear it is a really good machine, but for a casual user would I not be just as well off with the PC and save the extra outlay?
Thanks, Bob

The PC4212 is the best of it's type, hands down.
The Akeda will do almost infinitely variable spacing on both through and half-blind dovetails. It uses a repeatable 'toothed' spacing system, similar to what Incra uses in their tools, so that you can come back to the setup later, and make a repeat of the same joint, with an accuracy that the Leigh would be pressed to duplicate. (Leigh makes an excellent tool - just even _more_ adjustable!)
I prefer the clamping system of the Akeda to the PC style jigs. Easier for me to get things into position, and keep them there. Chip collection is better, too.
But the best part is that I can leave the jig on the shelf for months, collecting dust, and when I need to do machine dovies, it's about a 3 minute retraiing curve.
But it is at least twice the investment. In the context of a multi- thousand dollar kitchen or bath redo, it becomes your call. Considering the price of the other pieces of those projects...
Patriarch
Patriarch said "The PC4212 is the best of it's type, hands down"
Based on the above quote alone, I just pulled the trigger on this machine.
You have responded to my call for assistance in the past and I have always found your advice to be excellent. I wish more folks out here could be as friendly and helpful as you..... the world would be a better place.
Thanks so much for taking the time to help someone.
Your friend always, Bob