Advanced Wood Finishing and Refinishing Schools, Classes, Instruction ??? in USA

Hello,

Does anybody know of any schools that teach advanced woodfinishing and wood refinishing techniques? I'm looking for a college level coarse that really gets into the chemistry as wall as the decorative aspects of multi-step finishes.

Please Help!

Tom

Reply to
modestgiraffe

This book from Lee Valley Tools may prepare you for that course when you find it.

Upscale

I believe Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC does antique refinishing. One of the instructors is a finisher and FWW contributor local to me.

Reply to
B A R R Y

The only college level accredited school for wood finishing in Minnesota is near Minneapolis. It's a 25 year old, 36 credit program that takes 9 months. I went through the program and can assure you that it is extremely challenging and leaves no stone unturned in the area of wood finishing.

It is probably the best school in the world for wood finishing, refinishing, spot repair, intense study of the chemistry of all finishing products, wood science, coloring, color theory, dyes, mordants, antique finishing techniques, multi-step finishes, faux techniques such as marbling, crackle lacquer, and wood graining. The program is also endorsed by the Smithsonian Institute and the instruction is world renown in the finishing industry.

It is offered by a state community college so the tuition is the same at the tuition for any other Minnesota state college course.

Frank

frankschnieder

Antique restoration (these folks work on Smithsonian and MOMA pieces): Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree Program

The famous North Bennett Street School: This program includes finishing as part of full curriculum:

Reply to
B A R R Y