Add on in/out feed table for a jointer?

I am considering a rather expensive combination machine with a 40" jointer table. That seems rather short; my Delta 6" is 47", and I would often like it bigger.
The combination machine company recommends adding one of these to the infeed table; they think a short outfeet table is adequate. http://www.martin-usa.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID !4%20114%20000%20192
I have serious doubts about getting this adequately colinear with the infeed table; and I doubt a 20" outfeed table is long enough either.
Whatcha think? Anyone ever use one of these? Sadly I will have serious trouble getting a larger machine into my shop.
Toller wrote:

Never used one, but I'm in agreement on all counts -- 40" is far too short unless all you do is small cabinetry or similar and I don't think it would be easy at all to get one of those set up to be of real use for precision jointing. From the picture it doesn't even look very sturdy/stable, maybe there's more to it than meets the eye...???
I'd be looking for alternatives, methinks, or at least planning on not getting rid of the jointer which sorta' defeats (I presume) the purpose...sorta' leads into a rehash of the previous thread wherein I wondered about the purpose of the multipurpose machine...
On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 21:24:25 -0800, dpb wrote:
(Clippy got the whole thing)
The sheer fact that the auxilliary table exists is an admission that the original table is often too short
Just my 2 cents worth.
Bill

wants a 2.5hp shaper and mortiser will need more than a 40" jointer.
I am beginning to think that they really don't serve any purpose. Anyone who has room to use one probably also has room to use individual machines.
I am thinking about abandoning the 5/1 idea and getting a jointer/planer. It would be a major upgrade for me in both, and wouldn't require much more room than my jointer.
I agree that the extension does look a little (ok maybe a lot) too flimsy to have any real stability to be practical. However a much more sturdy setup with easily adjustable legs would work fine. If you have your machine bolted down, locating holes could be placed in the floor for the rear legs which would minimise setup time each time you use it as it would always have a reference point. However it would be a bit of a PITA as each time you adjust cutting depth the extension would also have to be adjusted.

much kills the idea by itself. Thanks. (They can't get one on the outfeed table because the TS fence is in the way)
Toller wrote:

I think you'd be better off getting seperate machines on mobile bases (if you are tight for space).
I wish my jointer bed was longer as well. I've tried to rig up outfeed stuff, and the results have been disappointing.. Now granted, I didn't put that much effort into it.