Accessory suggestions for the Multimaster

Gonna break down and get the Fein Multimaster kit (the expensive one w/lotsa accessories). You know, I'm saving soooo much doing the kitchen myself...

But, what additional accessories (or more of) should I add, that you folks might find yourselves wishing you'd bought the first go 'round?

I know it depends on what you're gonna do with it, so my plans are mostly stuff like - cutting holes in drywall, undercutting trim, flooring, woodworking,... OK, wait a minute. A shorter list would be what I'm not gonna use it for - automotive and marine (from their site) stuff.

I'm ordering Tuesday (the Amazon rebate expires - unless y'all know a better price somewhere else and would be willing to share), so time is of the essence (my fault - shoulda posted this liast week, like I'd thought about).

THanx Renata

Reply to
Renata

Renata wrote: > Gonna break down and get the Fein Multimaster kit (the expensive one > w/lotsa accessories). You know, I'm saving soooo much doing the > kitchen myself... >

ALL, yes I said "ALL", the carbide blade accessory kits as well as sandpaper packages of the desired grit(s).

You can buy paper from other sources, but it won't stay attached as well as the Fein paper.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

| Gonna break down and get the Fein Multimaster kit (the expensive one | w/lotsa accessories). You know, I'm saving soooo much doing the | kitchen myself...

| But, what additional accessories (or more of) should I add, that you | folks might find yourselves wishing you'd bought the first go | 'round?

MORE SANDPAPER! - up to the finest grit available. I can't imagine why I wasn't smarter about this when I bought my machine... Unless it was an effect of sticker shock.

Enjoy!

Morris Dovey

Get the dust extraction set 92602063023.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Like, E-cut, scraper, knife, round & segmented, rasps, grout?

Or, in kits I see, Super Professional, Tile, Profloor, & Profile.

Can you elaborate a tad?

Thanx Renata

Reply to
Renata

If it is carbide, buy it.

If it is HSS, who cares?

You will be amazed the uses you find for the Fein.

I bought ALL the blister packed carbide blades they offered at the same time I bought the basic tool simply because $ volume discounts offered by Amazon provided an economic incentive to do it that way.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The kits really confuse the issue.

If you are not going to work with tile, don't get that kit which is quite expensive.

The saw blades and sanding pads are a better deal for many people. Those blades are damn expensive when bought individually.

It depends on your initial ideas of using the machine.

It does many things well "with" the proper attachments.

Which "package" are you getting ???

Renata wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

VSXL for ~$320 R

Reply to
Renata

GOOD GOD GURDY!!

Boy have they raised prices.

I bought a variable speed unit with several accessories in a plastic case for less the $200 about 1-1/2 years ago.

Will check the model number tomorrow and see what the current price is.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew Hodgett wrote: > Renata wrote: >

Forgot I have unit with me.

It is a MSxe 636 II purchased 3/1/05.

Added the carbide blade pack for tile, grout, etc.

Purchased from Amazon which was offering a significant discount if purchase total exceeded $200-$250.

Looked briefly at Amazon site but can't readily find the difference between mine and unit you are considering.

Maybe Feinus.com can help.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Renata, I hummed and hawed for a long time as well. But at the end of the day, when you add everything up, the best deal is the 'Top":

BUT.. when you buy sawblades, for instance, the way to buy those are in a 3-pack. WAY cheaper. The sanding attachment with dust collection works flawlessly. You'll find more and more uses for it as time goes on. All you have to do is price the HSS Segment Saw Blade - 6 35 02 106 01 5, which is included in the TOP kit and you'll see that it is the only way to go. (There are now aftermarket knock-off blades available, but I have NO idea if they are any good.)

MSXE 636 II TOP SET The full works: The answer to everything, the Top Set contains the carbide rasp for tile work and the MiniCut kit for fine detailing. It also includes all accessories needed to attach a dust extractor for a clean, dust-free work environment.

Velcro backing pad

20 pieces assorted sandpaper Rigid scraper blade E-cut blade - 35mm single row HSS segment saw blade Carbide segment saw blade Allen key & fastening screw set Triangular carbide rasp-perforated MiniCut & diamond sharpening kit Perforated backing pad 20 pieces assorted perforated sandpaper Dust extractor attachment 2 adaptors for domestic vacuums (27/32mm) Customized metal carrying case
Reply to
Robatoy

List is $436.00.

They have a variety of 636 kits, and apparently 2 models - variable speed and not.

like the main differences are what extra stuff comes in the kit, and a plastic vs. metal case. Looks like mainly the addition of a profile kit.

I figured the more stuff included the better, so I went for the works. W/Amazon's 50 bucks off, it came to ~$270.

Gonna add the carbide Tile Kit (per recommendation here) for another ~$114, but waiting on another "sale". And, for the credit card to roll over to next payment cycle.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

Yeah, I usually end up regretting not having gone for the upgrade for what really isn't a whole lot more. Where I am waiting is on the accessories for 2 reasons: wait and use it to see what stuff I really need (though I can't disagree with the suggestions made here - carbide stuff, et. al.); and 'cause I couldn't come up with another 30 bucks to get to $150 and get the $25 rebate from Amazon. Gives my credit card a tiny reprieve as well.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

"Multimaster Top" here in the UK. It's a useful set of tools they include and it's a very good saving over buying separate.

IMHO, don't buy any extra tools at the same time. Use the thing first, see what it's all about. You can always buy more bits later and these things are just too expensive to go chucking your money around with. Besides, the really magic one is the segmented carbide sawblade (does ceramic tiles on refurb work like nothing else) and that's in the Top kit.

Reply to
Andy Dingley