A Purolator GOTCHA! (Long)

December 14, I place an online order with Buy.com Canada. They had a decent price for the Logitech Harmony RF Wireless Extender that I intended to use with my new Yamaha receiver. I figure it will be great to be able to run my sound system from another room with the included second remote control.

December 16, my Mastercard is billed, the order is shipped through Purolater and I get a tracking number so I can watch my prize make its way into my eager hands. I watch gleefully while that same day, the order is tracked through the sort centre, then goes into transit and leaves the depot for shipping to me. I figure a few days at most and I'll have it.

December 17, the order is tracked as being on the truck for delivery that same day. Great I think, fantastic service. I guess I'm too gullible. Later that day, the order is tracked as "address correction required". Figures, I'm thinking, some twit didn't address it properly.

December 17 - December 23, the order is scanned another 8 times, all with "address correction required".

Yeah, I left it too long, but finally on the 23rd, I contact Purolator support and ask what the problem is with my order? I get a quick response, the order needs a buzzer code for my apartment. I immediately email them my buzzer code, but it's too late to do anything about it because of Christmas and everybody is gone from Purolator customer service until December 27.

So, there I am fuming over the next few days. In frustration, I eventually get around to emailing their customer service an email asking why their delivery people are unable to read the buzzer code from the menu index in the lobby of my apartment building? I'm very careful not to ask about the mental capacity of their delivery people, but the implication is there nevertheless. ~ no reply.

December 29, I'm happy again because my order is tracked as being on the truck for delivery to me. That happiness was a complete waste. Two hours later, the package is tracked as "new tracking number assigned" and no new number emailed to me. Ok I thought, I don't care what number it has on it, just as long as it gets here.

December 30, (today), the original tracking number I have shows the package delivered to Missisauga and taken by some guy named Andrew at the Ingram shipping dock.

I'm pissed now. I'm getting no further responses from Purolator customer service. I phone the customer service at Buy.com (using the customer service number they gave me) and tell them my order has failed to arrive. 22 minutes on hold before I get to a live person. 17 more minutes while she takes all my information and makes inquiries about my order, frequently placing me on hold.

Final answer, we can't help you she says, you need to contact the CANADIAN division of our customer service. NO, I do not have their phone number. What do I do now I ask? WELL, I can forward your problem to our solutions department. How long is that going to take I ask? You SHOULD hear back in a few days.

I email Buy.com Canada division again and finally get an email response. Damien says to click on the link he's give me and fill out a "no delivery" form. I click on the link, enter my email address, input my password and get a "page cannot be displayed" message.

I email the Buy.com and explain my problem. And, that's where I sit waiting for a response. My next step will be to email Mastercard and tell them my card has been billed without their completing the order.

Reply to
Upscale

And I thought it was just Fedex, the address correction, illegible,unknown or too stupid to find is a favorite of Fedex.

When they absolutely positively can't deliver by 10:00 the next day, they just stick it on a shelf and wait for you to come pick it up.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

"Upscale" wrote in news:ef6f4$495a9647$cef88bc5$ snipped-for-privacy@TEKSAVVY.COM:

You should call Mastercard and state that your order billed on Dec 16 in the amount of xxx ordered from Buy.com Canada on so and so date has failed to arrive and to please credit you with the charged amount since Buy.com Canada cannot give you a satisfactory answer after you spoke (finally, after much routing around) with Damien, who gave you a wrong webpage address.

I have had both good and not so good experiences with Buy.com, so I am a little hesitant to bite when they appear to have a good deal.

Reply to
Han

ROTFLMAO!!

I'm sorry, but that is funny!

Happy new year.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Hey, I'd be happy to go pick it up. It would mean that I knew where the damned thing was. As I said in another message, it's usually not the money that's the most important to me, it's the customer service and not wasting my time. And this experience has been a colossal waste of time.

Reply to
Upscale

Stop depending on email. Pick up a phone and call Mastercard. And follow up with a written letter - you know, the obscure medium called paper.

Reply to
Bob Haar

I find that it works best if the letter goes first then call and ask if the person to whom you addressed it got it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Man, I feel for ya! It's issues like these that illuminate the insignificance of the PC vs. Mac pissing contest. Good luck on getting your package and try to put aside the angst so you can enjoy the ringing in of the new.

tb

Reply to
tommyboy

Buy.com responded to my email after I threatened to challenge the order with Mastercard. (one of the benefits of using a credit card). The matter has been escalated and I agreed to give them a week to find a solution to my satisfaction. Failing that, I will contact Mastercard and challenge the charge.

Reply to
Upscale

Your advice made me think about how I, (we've) gotten used to instant gratification. It's nice when you can use email or similar to respond to someone or something and get a reply back almost as fast. And now that I, (we've) become so accustomed to that instant gratification, it sure is a bear when it fails to perform as expected.

I'd almost forgotten what it's like to mail a letter of complaint and then have to wait and wait for results or some type of reply days, weeks or months later. Some of the good old days I certainly do NOT miss.

Reply to
Upscale

I've done chargebacks with a couple of companies that failed to deliver. It gets their attention because not only is the customer's money refunded (and the merchant has nothing to say about it if the bank believes the customer) but they get hit with a service charge as well.

Reply to
DGDevin

I also imagine that their business reputation with the credit card company is of great concern too.

Reply to
Upscale

UH HUH... I tracked a FedEX order, showed out for delivery. It was delivered the next morning, Sunday. Checked status again, showed delivered 8:30pm previous day. Amazing!

Reply to
Leon

My vendors are all aware that we only accept shipments from UPS.

Have had too many problems with the other shippers. Life is too short to screw around with losers.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew, you obviously aren't shipping or receiving cross-border. UPS in Canada is unbelievably awful.

Why? They charge extra to the US shipper for priority delivery to Canada, which is not available. They charge the recipient in Canada a premium price for delivery/clearing, while telling the US shipper that it's all included. It goes 'way downhill from there.

Dave O'H dave.oheareATgmail.com

Reply to
D O'Heare

Not any more.

There was a time we represented some Canadian firms in the US, long before the web.

Back then Canadian customs was the total PITA group.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I guess it depends on what you consider awful. Using UPS shipping in Canada has always by my experience, resulted in expensive cross border duties, even recently when the Canadian buck was valued more than the US dollar. They've always charged some type of handling fee and some Canadian duty is obviously added onto that. Not so with many other shippers.

I refuse to buy when a dealer insists on using UPS into Canada. My preference is to use US Postal service. Occasionally the surcharge has been $5, more frequently there has been no surcharge at all and once I've been hit with approximately a 25% charge. I figure over last five years, I've had shipments sent to me about a dozen times. Truly, not a great amount using USPS, but definitely a noticeable pattern when it comes to having to pay a surcharge.

Reply to
Upscale

On top of that, they don't publish their charges for customs brokerage fees, and will not disclose them in advance either to the recipient or to the shipper. As a shipper, the only way I can find out what the brokerage fee will be is to ship the package _first_, then call UPS with the tracking number and ask them. NOT!

Reply to
Doug Miller

One of the local UPS drivers was marking things as "delivered at

12:10PM" (online status) while he was apparenly eating lunch and the package wouldn't be at my door for another hour. You have to be careful of us old retired people - we do both physical (check the porch) and electronic (check the web) monitoring ;-)

The physical deliveries are now coming much later in the day (2 -3 hours later) and no online updates appear before the packages arrive, so I suspect there have been some changes ;-)

I also report Ebay shipping gougers, such as $0.99 starting bid with $69 shipping on a item that should sell for about $25 and ship for $15. The last time I reported one of these, the seller and all his listings were gone from Ebay in a couple of hours. If he hadn't been so greedy, I would have purchased several items from him.

John

Reply to
news

We have done a lot of importing and some exporting. Sending items to the US from Canada is just as bad, there are a million little rules you must document so that US customs will accept the item, worse than Canada customs.

Only when desperate will we accept UPS Ground items from the US, as we have learned that their customs broker charges through the nose for everything. The charge is rarely under $30.00 for whatever the item is, even for a $10.00 item. UPS freight is somewhat better, UPS Air or next day is OK.

We find that FedEx works better, the charges for customs brokerage is reasonable and they don't take much time. FedEx Next Day is great and the charge includes brokerage.

When you have time, go for USPS Expedited, when it gets to Canada, Canada Post will process the item for $5.00 plus taxes most of the time. Plus we get delivery to the door (you may not), unless the delivery guy is lazy and takes it to one of the franchise outlets instead. You can even pay the taxes and processing fee by credit card right on the doorstep with their handheld computer.

Reply to
EXT