A picture is worth a thousand words.

Page 1 of 2
At times I would like to post a picture to get a point across, at times my descriptions leave a lot to be desired. Of course pictures could be posted on the wood working newsgroup or on a web page . It seems to me that some folks do post pictures but not on websites [perhaps they are ] and definitly not as direct attachments .....I need enlightening or is it just a pigment of my imagination....mjh

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking Paste your pic to the body of the post Puff

Mike Hide wrote:

The way to get an image up to explain a point you wanted to make, - post the image as an attachment to a message to alt.binaries.pictures.wooworking or - post the image as an attchment to a message to alt.binaries.pictures.furniture - post a message to rec.woodworking with the same message subject describing whatever you have in mind and that the image related to it have been posted to a.b.p.w or a.b.p.f
This is really awkward but works - sort of. The problem is that the retention period of posts in a.b.p.w. and a.b.p.f.seems to be a few days to perhaps a week.
If you've got a web site you can set up a temporary idea page or two and provide the URL to a post in rec.woodworking - my preference.
Don't know if they're still around but there use to be free "post a picture" or "photo album" sites wher you can load an image then post the URL to the web page in rec.woodworking.
charlie b
charlie b wrote:

This actually works out fine onna 'count of it matches up with the retention period of any given thread, i.e., it has been reported (OK, by me) that any given thread will break down by the fifth message and become someone's OT rant.

Similar but different, Yahoo Groups has this sort of thing set up. Though it's set up for forum activity there are spots there where you can post pictures. Trouble is there isn't a way to have text with the picture. Talk about awkward but it's workable.
UA100

I don't understand.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
says...

What's the deal, someone have to paint a picture for you?
:-)
Mike,
Yahoo offers free web space as well as a free photo sharing feature. You register with Yahoo once and you can use the same user name for any of their features. I use both the free web site space and the photo sharing. The web site is more involved than just yahoo photo. The photo site is very easy to use, but a bit annoying in its attempts to sell you stuff. Remeber to set things up so the photos can be seen by the public. (Yahoo photo has 3 settings..public view, Yahoo user view, or private view).
Here are the links...
for the free web space:
http://geocities.yahoo.com /
and for the Yahoo Photo:
http://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//welcome&.intl=us&.linkdone=http%3a//f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//welcome
I hope this is of help to you Mike,
Dusty
"Women should be obscene and not heard." Groucho Marx
Dusty Workshop wrote:

Very nice. I finally have some place to upload pix of my outfeed table to (actually I just did that(1)) the next time someone asks "that" question.
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thedukeofurls/detail?.dir=/18db&.dnmhcd.jpg
Now, I'm curious. As I have a Yahoo account and password and all will anyone wanting to see the pictures also need a Yahoo account?
(1) T'was as easy as cake to do.
UA100

"The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible."

I can't see it *with* a Yahoo account, so I'm guessing the answer is "no".
djb
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

Dave Balderstone wrote:

UA100...
I clicked on the your photos.yahoo.com link and got:
"The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible.           Please sign in and try again or check with the owner of the file."
--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA

I had the same problem ...
--
Best regards
Han
Dave Balderstone wrote:

sigh... and damn! Here I was thinking...
Then on the other hand, it could be Yahoo. It's not like they never have problems. :-)
Not to high jack the thread from Mike Hide but I'm thinking another go at it might....
UA100, an optimist.
As was mentioned there was several "allowances" for viewing. Did you check to make sure the Public setting was on?
--

"Unisaw A100" < snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Are the settings correct??
Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

For some reason this question has me flashing on the Lawrence Olivier character in Marathon Man.
What settings are you asking about?
Can you see this?
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thedukeofurls/my_photos
UA100
All I see is the option to order prints.

Me too. You need to give us the password/username for that album.
You can do something similar on shutterfly.com. I will soon have uploaded a foto of a belt rack previously posted on abpw, and will reply here with the link to that.
--
Best regards
Han

This is the link to my shutterfly photo. You're welcome to go and pay for a picture, but I won't.
<http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?igb0de21b34a19efa423
--
Best regards
Han

I get a page with no photos visible. at the top of the page is a sign in link that refuses my connection
You Got me curious, Does this link work for you?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid94/p9ca30566365ce257db4f0feab2b924e6/fa37fb97.jpg
Tony D.