A Little Ingenuity Saves the Back!

Page 1 of 2
A couple dozen fence posts to remove. After the first two, I decided I needed a change in technique. :-)

http://youtu.be/iMovNjHPRUw

http://youtu.be/iMovNjHPRUw

--

-MIKE-

On 7/27/2014 12:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

When they invented the lever I wonder if they knew it would sell so well.
On 7/27/2014 12:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

it is legal and safe.

That's a winner! I've just used a 2x and a 45degre angle (a lever to convert horizontal to vertical motion) and pulled them with a rope tied to my truck but that's even easier than bringing the truck around.
The problem is that both techniques need an in-tact post. Often they're pretty well rotten (the reason they're being replaced).
On 7/27/14, 10:30 AM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

That's true... some just *have* to be dug out. There are lots of mechanical post pullers available at the farm stores. That's what got my buddy and I thinking about how we could make our own with what I already had. No need to buy one just for a couple dozen posts.
--

-MIKE-

On 7/27/14, 7:32 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

And dynamite is so messy. :-)
--

-MIKE-

https://groups.google.com/forum /#!search/bumper$20jack$20fence$20post
On 7/27/14, 2:10 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

HAHA!! Yes, there are very few original ideas left in the world.
Funny, most of the manufactured post removers are simply altered versions of the old bumper jacks talked about in those threads.
--

-MIKE-

chain around the post, hook over the snout of the jack, and "bob's your uncle" -- Even an old bumper jack works fine - and a lot easier to manipulate into position than the trolley jack.
On 7/27/14, 3:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

True! I stated in another reply that most of the manufactured post pullers I saw were just modified bumper jacks. Seems like there would be a million uses for one of those given enough attachments.
--

-MIKE-

Sure, but the beauty of the shop jack is that everyone has one (right?). There is no need for anything special (I really don't want to take the car jacks out of the car - ever ;-). OTOH, I could probably use a bottle jack from time to time (generally use a shop jack because it has a lower profile).

in the US no longer have a Post type jack but some version of the older screw type jack.
I have had a 2002 Cavalier, 2005 Astro , and a 2010 Cobalt, and all had screw type jacks.
On 7/27/14, 5:58 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Are you talking about the scissor jacks? I think the reason (besides space) that they changed the style of jacks that come in cars is because of safety and the fact that cars don't have real bumpers any more. Try lifting a newer car by the bumper and see what likely happens. :-)
Also, those bumper post jacks could slip out very easily.
--

-MIKE-

outbuildings) changing tires on tractors/implements, vitually anything that needs moving or tightening.
On 7/27/14 5:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

out over the years!
-BR
--- ---
On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 18:58:09 -0400, Keith Nuttle

Honestly, I don't know what sort of jack my last three or four cars have/had. I never used them. I think the last flat (so flat I had to, or could, change the tire) was on my '78 Ford and that was in '85 (just before we got the '85 Voyager).
I have used an 8 foot 4x4 and a chain with good results. Put the chain around the 4x4 about a foot up from the end, then wrap double around the post, and link them both tightly together. Lift up on the 4x4. To get another bite lower, just lower the 4x4, slide the chain down the post, and it will grab again when you lift again.
--
Jim in NC

"Ed Pawlowski" < snipped-for-privacy@snet.net> wrote in message
On 7/27/14 7:42 PM, Morgans wrote:

Old trick is to tie the chain to the bumper and bottom edge of the post. Place an old car rim (no tire) as close to the post as possible and drape the chain over the rim. As you pull forward with the vehicle, the car rim acts as a pulley and pulls straight up on the post.
-BR
--- ---

Check out Porta Power Ram. They've been around since the '50s

High-lift jack is available at Amazon http://tinyurl.com/pprueop
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com