A corner stair

Is there any information how I can build my own corner stair of wood in a house?

/Roland

Reply to
Roland Bengtsson

nospambob

Well, it's a stair in wood from the first floor to the second. I have made a small drawing of it on

tricky part is the two corners as you guess. I think we need some advice before we succeed with this project.

/Roland

Reply to
Roland Bengtsson

magazine- FINE HOUSE BUILDING.... look for an index...

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

snipped-for-privacy@home.se (Roland Bengtsson) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

whatever code your area uses. I would recommend putting a landing in each corner to make the turn. It appears from your drawing that there is plenty of room for that approach.

Reply to
Tom

you can get 3 treads in a corner winder. looks like you are trying to get 7

Reply to
nospam

snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It does not matter how many tread you have on the curve you can not get enough tread width on the inside corner. It has to have a landing or a much more gentle curve.

Reply to
Tom

your codes may be different than Arizona's or California's.

in both of those places I have built and had passed by inspectors staircases with corner winders.

tread width for a winder is measured at an arc corresponding with the centerline of the straight runs.

I posted a quick sketch show> snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote >>

Reply to
nospam

snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I don't have any code books at home and it has been a long time since I have done any residential work. I did find this diagram that shows the requirements for a circular stair section. I personally would not recommend what they are saying here.

guess this is a minamum for residential stair framing. Pity the guys who have to move the furniture.

Reply to
Tom

snip

that's a little different from what I posted- they're calculating tread width at 12" from the inside edge rather than from the centerline of the straight runs. it's also a 180 degree winder rather than a 90 degree winder, though I suspect that that wouldn't make any difference.

I've definitely seen them passed with less than 6" of tread width at the inboard end. inspectors seem to be more concerned with the rise and run being consistent at the path where you actually walk.

it's really nothing more than a short section of a circular staircase in the middle of a straight run. and yes, they are a pain for moving furniture.

the last one I built the winder pulled the owner/builder out of a tight spot. she wanted 2 straight runs and a landing, but there wasn't enough room- it would have left the bottom tread sticking out into a doorway. she had some choice words for the designer about that. in the end I think it worked well, both in terms of convenience of use and aesthetically- the stairwell is exposed and the winder makes a graceful curve through space in a room that is otherwise fairly rectilinear. Bridger

Reply to
nospam