A bit OT but something most of us have in our shops.

Page 4 of 4

You are a sharp one! :-)

Now that is a toolchest! I would love to have one like that for my good tools. That is truly a heriloom treasure.
I have a simple two-piece Craftsman. I use it for basic tools only.

I've always thought that but never had the tools to make one. Still don't really but I may try my hand at it one day.
On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 2:31:26 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I would not be surprised if Milwaukee, Craftsman, DeWalt, Lowes, Home Depot all have their tool boxes built by the same one or two companies in China, Malaysia, Vietnam. One or two companies make all the good tool boxes. On e or two other companies make the lesser grade tool boxes. All the boxes b y these companies come from the same place. All are pretty much identical. Except Orange Home Depot, Red Milwaukee, Yellow DeWalt, Red Craftsman, Bl ue Lowes. Does Home Depot also make a black box?

I just returned from Home Depot. Lowe's Kobalt are either blue or stainless steel. IIRC the Stainless Steel are the better grade of box but I was not impressed. The ball bearing slides were crotchety on all three of the boxes that I looked at.
Actually Porter Cable has a box that is grey and black and lools like the Milwaukee and DeWalt.
Home Depot boxes/ Husky are black.
I rearranged my garage this morning. Some how my 3 car garage was more crowded than my old 2 car, and no new equipment so to speak. Anyway I needed to see if I could fit in a 46" box and I ended up with an additional 80" of wall space. So I thought I might look at the HD Husky 52". This particular one was a lot like the Milwaukee. Wrinkle paint, soft close drawers and deeper drawers than the regular 52" Husky.
Closer inspection revealed a less stout/robust bottom. Caster bolted to sheet metal rather than 6 gauge "L" brackets all around the bottom and crossing in two extra places for the casters. I spied the China country of origin label on the box. AND it has some gimmicky bright black stick on trim. Nice box but I think the Milwaukee will let me sleep better at night.
AND from yesterday to today the Milwaukee went up from $698 to $749. I easily talked them into letting me buy it for yesterdays price. When they pulled my name up they were happy to see that I had also bought the 30" Milwaukee last week. :~)
On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 16:11:38 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

The Milwaukee and DeWalt boxes look similar but quite different from HF, Lowes, or the HD boxes.
I bought a box last Christmas for the garage. It's normal price was $400 but the Black Friday sale (that lasted the month of December) had it for $250. It's really quite a nice box. The drawer bearings are quite good and it's heavy enough.
<http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-27-in-W-16-Drawer-Tool-Chest-and-Cabinet-Set-H9CH3-H7TR3/204737248>
Leon wrote:

I still have my first tool box. It is 7 x 14 inches, made by Union Steel Chest Corp., LeRoy, N.Y. It had a curved or domed lid. The lid is crumpled down by my first daughter standing on it to watch me work. She is now 54.
--
GW Ross

'Bother', said Pooh, as he loaded his
On 8/23/2016 8:40 AM, G. Ross wrote:

Cant say that I still have mine. My first set of sockets, wrenches, and screw drivers were Penncraft, JCPenneys. They came in the typical plastic injection molded box. I still have all the tools, 1971.
That box was replaced by a Craftsman two drawer then a Kennedy, then the Craftsman top and bottom box.

I still have my first screwdriver, from '65 and a hammer from '71. Still my favorite.

On 08/23/2016 8:40 AM, G. Ross wrote: ...

While not "mine" in same since still have and use a couple that were grandfather's, dating to at least 1914 which is when he and his brother settled on the place here; had been renting farm ground earlier so it's likley they came with him rather than were new at the time...
Several wrench sets are still mostly around and a set of Craftsman pipe dies and another tap and die set date to probably the '20s...