A bit OT but something most of us have in our shops.

Page 2 of 4
On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 13:29:45 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

My Crescent wrenches are even better than metric. They're metric on one side (600mm and 800mm) on one side and imperial (8" and 12") on the other.
On 8/22/2016 3:15 PM, Bill wrote:

The fancier names have the distinction of not having to be competitively priced. Add to that you don't have to go to the store to have a broken tool replaced, the rep comes to your work place, although you have to wait a week. ;~) And these are top notch tools that with daily use may never wear out.
And ultimately the guy selling you the top notch tools knows what he is talking about, he has quite an investment too.
But for you and me just about any decent brand will do.
On 2016-08-22 8:07 PM, Leon wrote:

The Snap-On dealer who came by our shop would fight tooth and nail when it came to warranty claims, always tried to blame the worker. Yes they did break and under normal use.
Sears, on the other hand, never questioned, just replaced. Of course that was in their prime, sadly those days are gone.

On 8/22/2016 9:20 PM, Idlehands wrote:

[snip]

That's sad to hear, if true. Have rarely had an occasion to take a Craftsman hand tool back but the few times I did, it was no questions asked. Broke the tip on a large screw driver and worried about explaining what happened (used it as a punch, not a pry bar, and it just didn't like that<g>). Retail guy never asked, just walked me over to the screwdrivers and handed me a replacement.
Socket sets are all Craftsman and are pushing 40 yrs old. No rust, all work just fine. If only the damn sockets wouldn't keep walking off. Found I was missing a couple of my 3/8" drive recently and priced replacements. Damn! Then went to the Sears Appliance Outlet store when I was in the neighborhood and picked up a complete set for $9.99, with the high end laser etched size marks no less.

Yes all brands break and SnapOn has an exception clause. If it breads because it was worn out it is not normally covered.

Well In most cases the Craftsman are used mostly by home owners and some pro's. It is likely if a Craftsman breaks it is not worn out. SnapOn is rarely bought by a homeowner that uses his tools occasionally.

Might just as well buy HF, now. Craftsman isn't any better.

HF has a gem or two in their toolboxes. One of the larger ones that usually sells for around $380 or so is one of them. I've got two, one under my little lathe. The drawers move easily and accurately and it's good quality metal.
Puckdropper
On 8/23/2016 10:48 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

You know I shopped the HF boxes last week. Their boxes are really not much less expensive than the competitions.
This one, http://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-13-drawer-glossy-red-industrial-roller-cabinet-68784.html
and this one, http://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-8-drawer-glossy-red-roller-cabinet-top-chest-68787.html
Heavier duty than many but my local HD has a Husky with almost as much weight capacity in a 52" for $699. 2500lb capacity and the smaller drawers are rated at 120 lbs. Plus a 5 year warranty. They have two in stock but I could not find it on line.
And I prefer the clam shell top which is the direction many are going. I really thought HF had the lowest prices but for just a fraction more you get at least equal.
On 24 Aug 2016 03:48:23 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

sure, some of their boxes are pretty nice (even if not pretty ;-).

In either case, be sure to give them a few simple tests in the store. Open the drawers or spin the ratchets and see how nicely they work. You may not get the Craftsman warranty, but a life time warranty doesn't mean anything if you don't get a servicable tool in return.
Aside: has anyone tried Kobalt's Lifetime Warranty? Do they require a receipt?
Puckdropper
snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.com says...

I have a Harbor Freight flare nut wrench that slips on various fittings. So I figured I'd upgrade to Craftsman. Theirs slipped too. Finally I bit the bullet and shelld out the 30 bucks for a Snap-On for the size I most commonly encounter. It slips too.
On 8/24/2016 4:52 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Perhaps you are using the wrong sized wrench. 3 in a row and different brands slipping sounds like the wrong sized tool.
On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 9:08:06 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I have no doubt the top brand tools are top notch. But I only open my Craf tsman tool box drawers about once a month. Not once a minute or hour. For holding my tools in between semi annual usage or less, they do very well. I am happy to have fine Craftsman tools. But most of them don't see the l ight of day very much.

I only have Craftsman and gasp, Penncraft, JCPenney from the early 70's. Those are perfectly fine for us. ;~)
On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 11:29:59 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

I've been using the same hammer since the mid-70's. I've changed the head twice and the handle three times, but it's still the same hammer. ;-)
A friend has the bigger, wider, larger Milwaukee tool boxes. The kind you bought except twice as tall and twice as wide and twice as deep. Craftsman makes some huge tool boxes like it. Not sure where the big Milwaukee tool boxes were made. But would guess not China. They are quality, as you des cribed. I believe many years ago Made in Vietnam was common on stuff. Mad e in Vietnam was the precursor to Made in China. Guessing the relevant siz e of China made Vietnam disappear. I have several Craftsman tool boxes. D rawers are not ball bearing so the big heavy drawers take a lot of effort t o open. Otherwise nothing but good things to say about Craftsman tool boxe s. If I was buying new I'd look at Home Depot and Lowes offerings on tool boxes. As well as Craftsman. Lowes has their Kobalt brand in a pretty blu e color.

Another one worth looking at is Stack-On. I believe that they have several grades. I'm sure the roller cabinet, middle chest, top chest and two wing cabinets that I've picked up over the years are not their top end stuff, but they were price right and, after 30+ years for the main unit, have held up fine. Bearings on the drawer slides, while not high end, have worked just fine.
I don't give a rat's a** where they are made (Stack-On is made within 30 miles of me in Wauconda, IL) you can tell what you're getting with tool boxes if you can look at them in the store.
What's truly amazing is that when I bought the individual pieces and loaded them up, there was all kinds of room. The manufacturer's need to Sanforize (anyone else remember that trademark) the damn things so they don't shrink so much. Gotta keep buying more to house the same number (I swear to SWMBO) of tools and "stuff."

A HF $135 unit. And a Husky top chest $75.
The Kennedy is the Rolls Royce of boxes, but I don't think it is that much nicer than the HF. The slides on the kennedy do come apart nicely. with the lift of the spring steel.
The HF don't.
Don't get me wrong, the quality of the Kennedy is great. But not enough to warrant the 2x3 times the price for a single unit.
My Husky came dented. No big deal. Who really cares, it does what it needs to.
--
Jeff

On 8/21/2016 7:07 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Well the Kennedy is a nice box but there are much better. I had a Kennedy tool box many years ago. The Kennedy certainly delivers on value.

I guess you have not seen SnapOn pricing. :~) Kennedy has nothing on SnapOn as far as pricing goes. While not the same size you can compare to an equal sized Husky. The Snap On may be 20 times more expensive.
https://store.snapon.com/KERN602B4-Series-PowerTop-Roll-Cabs-60--60-EPIQ-Roll-Cab-with-PowerTop-13-Drawers-Red-P649519.aspx

Yeah the dent does not affect the ability to use the box and my past boxes have had dents.
BUT have we become conditioned to accept damaged goods. If I am going to pay hundreds for a new box it is not going to have dents unless I put them there.