$300 8" jointer at Enco

Enco is MSC's hobbyist division. MSC is a gigantic industrial supply house with customer service almost as good as Lee Valley.

Anyway, Enco is blowing out an 8" jointer for $300. Just thought I would point it out in case someone is shopping for one.

Go to

click on "Enco Outlet", then look at the last page of the pdf.

Reply to
AL

Hmmmm, I'm not normally this cynical, but I couldn't help but notice the absence of the customary disclaimer regarding your lack of any affiliation with the company you seem to be shilling for. BTW, nothing wrong (in my opinion) with letting the folks here know when your company's running a great promotion. Just so long as you do the ethical thing by identifying the source.

Brad (no affiliation, etc...)

AL wrote:

Reply to
bradnh

So, ignoring the un-mentioned shill, does anyone know anything about these jointers? A

Reply to
Avraham

I'd think it is a crap shoot at that price. Quality would be dependent of how the egg rolls and rice wine flowed at lunch. I doubt very much it is a rebranded Powermatic or Oliver.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I didn't really think so either, but I was hoping someone might have some experience with one. A

Reply to
Avraham

I only see a 6" jointer.

Reply to
Leon

Like saying "no affiliation" would mean anything at all?

Reply to
Leon

Click on the link and three jointers come up, 2 of which are 8 inchers. The one the OP refers to, the cheaper one, reminds me of the cheap HF jointers, the main weakness of which is the fence, which mounts on the infeed END of the table. The better 8" jointer they list has a nicer center-mounted fence.

Even so, the cheap one might be serviceable. It sure is cheap. Lots of folks do just fine with their HF 6" jointers.

H.

Le> > Enco is MSC's hobbyist division. MSC is a gigantic industrial supply

Reply to
hylourgos

Looks just like the "Pro Wood" 8" from Homier, and about the same price.

I was going to comment that they want $400 for a magnetic switch, then I saw that the $699 model has a longer table (66" vs. 54"), a 200 V motor, and the magnetic switch too.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

I particularly liked the $2,042.95 Delta DJ-20 offered on the flyer next to the now $699 model... apparently to make the $699 one look like an even better bargain. The picture appears to be of a DJ-15...

John Grossbohlin

This is Usenet. I was going to make that comment - even tho' I noticed the length and motor. :)

Reply to
patrick conroy

I am not affiliated in any way with Enco, MSC, Lee Valley or the jointer manufacturer.

A search on groups.google will show that I've posted numerous deals over the years. I'm not affiliated with Home Depot, Menards, Lowes or Amazon either.

I, however, am a very satisified customer with MSC/Enco. It is very rare that I experience customer service like theirs, especially this day and age.

Incidentally, Enco has a 10% off coupon. Look on rec.crafts.metalworking. I'm not sure if they will accept it for this item though.

Reply to
AL

Look again.

Reply to
AL

A couple of years back, a guy I worked with mentioned Enco as a source for inexpensive metalworking equipment. He had bought a lot of their products, and he said they were fine- as long as you retooled some of the parts to make them accurate. For a metalworker with an engine lathe and a vertical mill that may not be an issue, but I'd doubt that most of the folks around this group have the equipment or inclination to fabricate their own replacement parts. I guess I'm going to stay away from the sucker, myself and go for a more well-known brand.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

I am a machinist by trade and have dealt with Enco a fair amount. They used to have a store here (Seattle area). It was always best to go to the store rather than order. Some of the stuff they had wasn't bad for the money but lots of it was junk. Best to look it over before buying. When Harbor Freight came about, my first thought was, just what we need, another Enco.

Reply to
CW