2x12 ramp

Page 1 of 2
I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle this?
On 5/20/2014 12:33 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:

yes, braced in the middle, assuming a 500lb unit + 200 lb man.
But it wouldn't hurt to put a 2x4 underneath in a T position to add some strength. glue and screw it. The 2x4 doesn't have to goto the end, so it can sit , but it should be most of the length.
--
Jeff

On 5/20/2014 11:43 AM, woodchucker wrote:

The 2x12's by them selves will be plenty.
On 5/20/2014 12:33 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:

How long will the span be? Well it be from the truck to level ground, or are you planning to do it from a hill or ditch on your property? The hill/ditch could be a significantly shorter span.
What is the size of the tractor.
With a 2X4 on end, bolted under the 2X10, extending most of the length of the ramp, I would think it could support most lawn type tractors.
A 2x10 will support two people (500 pounds)

With 2x4s under them as another poster suggested, I'd figure they'd work just fine.
As a backup plan, Harbor Freight has a couple aluminum ramps for around $50. They're rated for 1000 lbs and handled my 4 wheeler just fine, but they are rather short.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 5/20/2014 11:33 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:

I used to load a John Deere 318 this way all the time with me riding it up. I attached an "L" bracket on the end of each 2x12, to lock in between the tailgate and the bed, to prevent them from falling.
On Tue, 20 May 2014 09:33:32 -0700 (PDT), "Gramps' shop"

It will work, but just a comment. If it is a one time deal to a repair shop, OK, If it is a frequent thing to take to other properties, invest in a good set of ramps that will work better and safer.
"Gramps' shop" wrote:

How long are the 2x12s?
Lew
Thanks, guys. I'm figuring 12-foot lengths to minimize the likelihood of g etting hung up on the mower deck. This is a one-time move. I looked at th e HF ramps and they look like a good price ... but their shorter length wil l increase the odds of a hangup on the mower deck.
On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 4:18:08 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:

On 5/20/2014 4:29 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:

I can tell you from experience that 12' may bow and defeat the advantage of the longer length.. The 2x12 ramps that I used almost on a weekly basis were 8' long.
If your deck floats it should easily ride over what ever it may come in contact with, just like irregularities in the yard. Otherwise it should be easy enough for some one to help lift should there be interference.
Thanks, Leon. What are you doing on Saturday? :-)

On 5/20/2014 5:29 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:

Since this is a one time use, you could get by with supports in the middle of the 12 foot span of the 2X10.
These supports could be sturdy boxes, drums, etc. If you are a wood worker and have left over 2X4 you could make a saw horse arrangement.
Remember as you are setting this thing up the truck will go down as the load is transferred to the truck and this will cause movement against the ramp. You do not want the supports to fall over as the truck moves. Take a couple of minutes and view the vehicle loading failures an Youtube. Enjoy but take note of what each does wrong.
As you are putting this together, remember, there are is one thing more important than getting the tractor into the truck. Your goal is to SAFELY get the tractor into the truck.
Per the computer magazines newsgroups are dying out, we don't want to speed that process by loosing users to unnecessary accidents.

I've backed up to a steep hill to make up for the length of the ramps. Eventually, I bought a pair that were much longer.
When you do this, make sure to have a spotter. Sometimes things shift as the machine is loaded.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

"Gramps' shop" wrote:

I don't know about Leon, but I will be reminding myself how nice to not have to screw around with yard maintenance equipment any more.
Lew

I use 2x8s about 6 feet long and a winch (instead of riding it). I also have a couple of pieces of 2x6 to go under the wheels as it enters the truck bed to lift it just enough that the deck doesn't drag.
The metal ramps with a curve avoid the problem with deck drag, but I only put the mower in the truck once or twice a year - not worth the extra $$ for metal ramps. If it were a weekly event, I'd buy the metal ramps.

They will handle some mowers, and some mowers will be too heavy. I really couldn't say about your mower...

On 5/20/2014 7:49 PM, Larry W wrote:

Agreed, not enough data for a solid answer.
That said, a 2x4 or even a 1x4 screwed into the edge of the 2x12 or perpendicular to the bottom will greatly enhance the ramp's strength.
Finally, take it slow and easy and I suspect that you will see if you HAVE a problem well before you're in any trouble.
On Tue, 20 May 2014 14:29:11 -0700 (PDT), "Gramps' shop"

I'd worry more about getting it off the truck than and. End overs are not a pretty sight.
On Tue, 20 May 2014 09:33:32 -0700 (PDT), "Gramps' shop"

I've used 2x10s to load mine in a trailer. My truck bed is to high to even think about doing this.

For the effort required, I'd definitely attach the 2x4s to the bottom of the 2x12s. I hate seeing ramps deflect under me, even if they will hold the weight. It'd probably take me more time to gather the materials than assemble the ramps.
My biggest concern would be the lip at the end of the 2x12. If loading only, it won't be too much trouble. If unloading, that's one place the rig could start to slip, and now you're on the edge and the ramp has gone away.
If the OP lived nearby (I'm thinking he lives in one of the states with a compass direction in its name?), I'd let him borrow my ramps. Unfortunately, it'll probably cost more to ship than it would to buy new ones.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.