2 horse or 3/4 horse

A few days ago someone asked about lathes. A link was posted referring to Griz G0462. Then went on to say it's not 2 HP but more like 3/4 HP. Is the 2 HP listed on Griz site just an exaggeration? I've been thinking about getting that lathe for a while now.
Rick Samuel wrote:

Since nobody has jumped on here, I'll make a comment -- I have never had a Griz (got everything I really wanted/needed long before there _was_ such a thing), but have looked extensively at the catalogs and haven't ever heard a really bad thing about anything of theirs since the earliest days. So, afaict they're ratings are reasonably accurate and their support/technical sales is rated as good. I'd suggest looking at the amps drawn if provided as a good corroboration and if not and still concerned, they have an 800 number -- call 'em and ask.

I looked at their telescoping gages and they are scrap metal. I would buy most of their other machinist tools. I suspect that most of their woodworking machinery is the same. I have personally went into the store in Springfield and the machinery looks pretty good for the price.
<DIV><FONT face="Courier New" size=2>&nbsp;A few days ago someone asked about lathes.&nbsp; A link was posted referring to Griz G0462.&nbsp; Then went on to say it's not 2 HP but more like 3/4 HP.&nbsp; Is the 2 HP listed on Griz site just an exaggeration?&nbsp; I've&nbsp;been thinking about getting that lathe for a while now.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV dir=ltr><FONT size=2>It is 9.5a/240v, which is approximately 2hp.&nbsp; They often lie about HP, but "usually" tell the truth about amperage since that is so easily checked</FONT></DIV> <DIV dir=ltr><FONT size=2>So, unless the poster has a really good reason for his opinion, I would say it is 2hp.</FONT></DIV> <DIV dir=ltr><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV dir=ltr><FONT size=2>(I did have a Penn State DC that claimed 16a, but actually measured 9a.&nbsp; Everything else I have checked has been pretty accurate)</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
Did you get a new collector?
A few days ago someone asked about lathes. A link was posted referring to Griz G0462. Then went on to say it's not 2 HP but more like 3/4 HP. Is the 2 HP listed on Griz site just an exaggeration? I've been thinking about getting that lathe for a while now.
It is 9.5a/240v, which is approximately 2hp. They often lie about HP, but "usually" tell the truth about amperage since that is so easily checked So, unless the poster has a really good reason for his opinion, I would say it is 2hp.
(I did have a Penn State DC that claimed 16a, but actually measured 9a. Everything else I have checked has been pretty accurate)
Had to, it didn't do the job at all. Single bag; worked poorly with a clean bag, and then did almost nothing when it got a bit full.

JDS Cyclone?

>They often lie about HP, but "usually" tell the truth about amperage
Being federal law might have a little to do with that.
CW wrote:

OK, I'll bite... :) Which law is this of which you speak?
The motor must have a U.L. listing. They are resposponsible for ensuring that the manufacturers rating is correct.

CW wrote:

Underwriters Laboratory is a private company, not an agency of the government. Submission of a product to U.L. is -entirely- voluntary. The penalty for not doing so is the lack of a U.L. Seal of Approval and this may backfire on you in a product liability lawsuit.
"You pays your money and you takes your chances."
I didn't submit my lawn chairs to U.L. nor have I submitted my turned pens.
I think, if you are looking for truth in advertising / labeling, you'll want to look to the Department of Commerce. Possibly under some law there must be a declaration of the electrical characteristics of the motor but submission to U.L. is, was, and likely always will be, voluntary.
Bill
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com
Rick Samuel wrote:

Thanks for the input, and the relationship between amps, volts and HP
every one else has said, based on the amperage, it sounds like a <BR>real 2HP motor. Reference <A href="http://users.goldengate.net/~kbrady/motors.pdf ">http://users.goldengate.net/~kbrady/motors.pdf </A><BR><BR>Quick rule for estimating the real HP of single phase induction motors - <BR>the fixed speed motors used in table saws, jointers, lathes, drill <BR>presses, etc. At 120 V, it's about 10 amps per HP - at 240 V it's about <BR>5 amps per HP. Note: any spec that says "peak" or "max" or "developed" <BR>HP is a lie.<BR>--<BR>JeffB<BR>remove no.spam. to email<BR><BR>Rick Samuel wrote:<BR>&gt;&nbsp; A few days ago someone asked about lathes.&nbsp; A link was posted referring <BR>&gt; to Griz G0462.&nbsp; Then went on to say it's not 2 HP but more like 3/4 HP.&nbsp; <BR>&gt; Is the 2 HP listed on Griz site just an exaggeration?&nbsp; I've been <BR>&gt; thinking about getting that lathe for a while now.</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

Regards,

message
The other thing to do is actually read the nameplate on the induction motor. For example the old "3HP" crapsman saws said 1.5 HP on the motor name plate. Of course what you get out of the motor may not be what the nameplate says. But it's more likely the name plate data was specified by manufacturing/engineering rather than marketing so you'll likely be closer.
hex -30-