2 garage doors

I have a client wishing me to build 2 garage doors. I need to make them lightweight, non-warping. The sizes of each door is about 12 ft. height, and each about 5 ft. width.. (maybe more....not measured yet) I would like to do a honeycomb pattern...I did see sing panels online. I would like to make these at home also...in my shop. Cedar 1x6 on the exterior in a sun burst pattern... 1/4 " marine ply interior.....foam 1 1/2" filler Just trying to come up with a workeable idea. I have built doors like these in the past, and realize the issues involved. I would like to use a frame of Cedar or.......2x4 or 2x6....with a channel to accept the 1x6..... I also have used threaded rod, to hold panels together..... Just throwing out a light of thoughts, and wondering if there is any direction that one may know? Thank You johnloomisconstruction.com is my web page
john
"jloomis" wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------- After Hurricane Andrew tore up a major piece of South Florida, overhead garage doors were developed that could withstand a 2"x4"x96" being used as a projectile fired from a compressed air cannon.
The result was the fiberglass skin over urethane foam core panel.
I've done a lot of this type of fiberglass work, but would not attempt to build them when commercial product is so relatively available.
Once you have the base panel, you could add whatever you like to decorate using 3M 5200 as an adhesive.
Good luck.
Lew

+1
--
Jim in NC

On Fri, 4 Jul 2014 13:30:11 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

+10 (or X10) on that. "Make 'em work, THEN make 'em pretty!!"
On 7/4/2014 12:00 PM, jloomis wrote:

Very helpful, and I had similar ideas although using engineered 2x material sounds good. I would aim for lighter also. Using cement board will increase weight although it is very durable. Also one can get 1.5 " foam insulation. I may hold the doors together with threaded rod. On my web page I made "Huge Doors" and I mean quite large...... They held up very well. So, with the video, and more thoughts, I am still in the process of developing a strategy that will work. Thank You. John
"dpb" wrote in message
On 7/4/2014 12:00 PM, jloomis wrote:

"jloomis" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "dpb" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- "jloomis" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Doubt either of the above meets basic spec.
Lew
On 7/4/2014 4:40 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

What "spec" is that?

On 7/4/2014 8:53 PM, jloomis wrote:

Figured you could judge what was/wasn't suitable but your request reminded me of having seen the printed article some time back...

For doors this size, and I assume hinged at the outside, I would strongly consider going with a steel u-channel on the outside, with z-channel or more u-channel on the inside with foam tight in between the angles. Then skin them with sheet metal, glued and pop riveted, then coat them with the wood decoration on the outside. Weight will be the key, and you simply can not build as lightly with wood as you can with steel, and still meet the torsional rigidity that a door of those dimensions only supported at one side will require with anything but a two sided structure.
--
Jim in NC

One main problem is that this house is right on the ocean front. Steel, etc. will rust, and rust quickly. So, yes, I understand the problem. I am a bit stumped so to speak....... I like steel, and sheet metal, and pop rivets.... A door like this would have to be made out of stainless, and that just blew it out of the water...... hummm? I would love to try to come up with a wood airplane wing design, that is, modified, for the doors. Like these inexpensive hollow core have webs of cardboard....Now I would not go that route. Although structurally, and like a beehive, it is very strong, and lightweight.... ' Thank You for your ideas..... John L.
"Morgans" wrote in message wrote

For doors this size, and I assume hinged at the outside, I would strongly consider going with a steel u-channel on the outside, with z-channel or more u-channel on the inside with foam tight in between the angles. Then skin them with sheet metal, glued and pop riveted, then coat them with the wood decoration on the outside. Weight will be the key, and you simply can not build as lightly with wood as you can with steel, and still meet the torsional rigidity that a door of those dimensions only supported at one side will require with anything but a two sided structure.
--
Jim in NC

A torsion box? I like them for a lot of things but it's going to make a pretty heavy door.

Well, "lightweight" is a relative term.
On 7/4/2014 8:53 PM, jloomis wrote:

Any reason you couldn't make them bifold? Then each panel is only half the width so the rigidity issue is much easier to solve.
If you're talking threaded rod, anyways, I don't see why could build in a diagonal tension cable that would be much lighter than rod and certainly more than strong enough. 3/32" SS is almost 1000# breaking strength even though its derated for aviation use by 5X, it would certainly be more than adequate for the purpose here...

"jloomis" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------ A quick search of "fiberglass garage doors" produced these people.
http://tinyurl.com/m5wu45g
Might be worth talking to them.
BTW, stainless is exactly that, it stains LESS.
Anything other than 316L isn't going to cut it.
Bronze is a better choice for a marine application.
Lew
Lew