Garage Doors

We are looking at 3 different garage doors for our house. This is a replacement.

Clopay - 4050 Series Wayne Dalton - 9600 Series CHI - 2285 Series

What are the pros and cons of each. We want a good, sturdy insulated door with windows. We want one that will qualify for the energy tax credit. We know very little about garage doors and need all the help we can get.

Reply to
rogerfisher

Wayne Dalton has been out of business for years. Another door company was bought by Martin Doors. They kept all phone numbers and yellow-page ads.

I suggest you visit Lowe's or HD and look a door samples for Martin Doors. or visit their site.* This door qualifies for a tax credit. A single door cost me $1200.00 (no new rails, windows or opener). The installers at L/HD are the actual company Martin employees that are trained and not some jay-bird off the street.

Oren

Correction - I did get "new rails".

Martin rails/tracks are about 4" wide vs standard rails.

Reply to
Oren

Wayne Dalton out of business? They still have a website and a garage door company in our area (very reputable) sells both the Clopay and Wayne Dalton garage doors. Are you saying that Martin bought Wayne Dalton and kept the Wayne Dalton name? I'm not sure that I understand exactly what it is that you are saying.

Reply to
rogerfisher

I'm saying my WD door was no longer available. Calling numbers in yellow pages MIGHT just direct you to another company that was bought by another.

Got a link for WD doors? Where do they make them?

Reply to
Oren

Here's the link.

It says on the website that they are in Mt. Hope, Ohio.

Reply to
rogerfisher

You can get an energy tax credit for a GARAGE door?

How much can I get for insulating the dog house?

The inmates are in charge of the asylum!

Reply to
HeyBub

There's not a whole lot of difference between the brands.

Look at the construction. You'll find doors that have:

  1. A single sheet of steel

  1. A single sheet of steel with insulation and a sheet of plastic on the inside.

  2. Doors with insulation sandwiched between two sheets of steel. These are more rigid and stronger.

You may find some low cost doors with much thinner metal. And some expensive commerical grade doors with a heavier gauge of steel.

Around here (SF Bay Area) you'll get a better deal and a better job from the smaller local door companies than you will from Home Depot, Lowes.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Gary Player. |

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

We are looking at doors with 2 sheets of steel and insulation sandwiched between. The prices between the 3 brands are ranging between $1400 - 1750 installed. I do see some difference between the R Value. The Clopay has 6.8, the CHI has 8.5 and the Wayne Dalton has

  1. I know Clopay is a good door. I've always associated Wayne Dalton with cheap doors, maybe because Lowe's sells them. However the Lowe's doors are the low end doors, while the model we looked at is the higher end door. I've never head of CHI until yesterday, but the research we've done does indicates that it is a good door.

This is a lot of money to put into something for the house. We are trying to do all our homework and, of course, get opinions from other homeowners.

We will definitely buy the door and get it installed from a reputable company.

Any opinions from anyone are needed and welcome!

Reply to
rogerfisher

Thanks! When I called around for a door, the companies did not carry them and one said they went out of business. Checking the link I see Lowe's sells them. I never looked for them there. I still have a double door by WD.

Reply to
Oren

New 2009 Stimulus Legislation Expands U.S. Energy Tax Credits

Reply to
Oren

re: You can get an energy tax credit for a GARAGE door?

Here's a synopsis of the rules, and my expert interpretation of the reason:

Stolen without permission form the EnergyStar website:

*** Begin Included Text ***

Garage doors installed in 2009 or 2010 may be eligible for a tax credit of 30% up to $1,500 provided that the door is installed in or on an insulated garage as a component of the taxpayer=92s principal residence (does not need to be attached), the garage door meets the other requirements of the tax credit (i.e. it has a U-factor

Reply to
DerbyDad03

In my view, neither would an insulated garage door. Even if an attached garage, what's the R value of 20 feet of dead air? Whatever the insulation on the door might be, it's got to be negligible in comparison.

Reply to
HeyBub

Unless it's a completed sealed garage, with an air lock system between the house and the garage, I seriously doubt it's dead air.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

... but they robbed $2 billion from that program to renew the clunker program so you better hurry.

Reply to
gfretwell

Does that mean they will issue me an IOU?

Reply to
Oren

If I promise to keep my clunker locked behind the new garage door, can I get the tax credit *and* the $4500?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It is all IOUs ($2 TRILLION so far this year) but they would have to appropriate more IOU money. When they extended the clunkers they couldn't get congress to go along with appropriating more money they don't have so they just robbed it from the already appropriated energy tax credit IOU.

Reply to
gfretwell

Only if you destroy the engine

Reply to
gfretwell

If the garage is NOT adequately sealed, then what the hell good is an insulated door?

If the garage IS sealed, insulating the door would be redundant.

I've seen donuts with more brains than some federal regulators.

Reply to
HeyBub