103.23070 king-seeley/craftsman wood lathe

I found a really nice king-seeley wood lathe built for crafstman dated back in the late 40's and fifty's. my problem is, I need a new v-belt. I downloaded the manuel for the

103.23070 and it told how to change a belt. I have taken the 2 hex nuts off, taken the 2 set screws from the pulley, and have driven the spindel most of the way out using a wood dowel and wooden mallet. now I only like about 3/4 " having it driven out enought to get the new belt on, but the pulley seems stuck now. I have sprayed wd40 on the shaft and in the set screw holes of the pulley still wont budge. I'm just going to let it soak in wd40 for a few days. If anyone has had experience getting a v-belt puller (4 step pulley) off of a shaft I would sure like some suggestions. Thanks Tom
Reply to
tommyerrol

Link to a parts pitchure if there is one could be useful to see what you're really got.

Try a) would be drive it back where it was and clean up the shaft a little, re-lube and try again.

b) would be the pulley puller; that assumes there's room and there's almost always a way to rig it up if think about it enough.

c) would be forget the continuous belt and go w/ a link belt. In general I think they're a solution looking for a problem but here might be one--and easy out, so to speak.

--

Reply to
dpb

I would drive the pully back on a ways,then go over the shaft with some emery cloth. If there has been any build up or nicks, this should smooth out the shaft so it will come off.

Paul T.

Reply to
PHT

a) agreed,,, cleaning even to the point of a dremel tool wire brush to clean the shaft

b) after a)

c) wouldn't have occurred to me.

d (which would probably be my first course of action)) considering the way the belt is moved for speed change, is it really necessary to remove the pulley? Can't you just get it on one side and then work it onto the other?

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

Well, that would have been my first suggestion as well if OP hadn't said he downloaded the manual and (I assumed) was thus following its instructions....which is why I mentioned the "pitchure would potentially be useful".

I was/am presuming there's a problem in clearance somewhere or the instructions would indicate that one could replace the belt w/o disassembly.

--

Reply to
dpb