Yea - roofing starts next week

Good luck Tim. I'll call in on my way back from Kent over the Xmas period if that's OK.

Reply to
ARW

You'll be very welcome :)

We might be away for a day or two - email me.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, proper scaffolding is *SO* much nicer than ladders or even a lightweight scaff tower. For the convience if you need access almost everywhere nothing beats it, well worth the money.

1 lift for 40m did you say? Even if they charged you it would only be a =

few tens of pounds per week. IIRC the two lifts/60m with three three lif= t sections on the gables I had here only cost another =A360/week. The cost= is transport and labour.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Note that, depending on type of roof, you will need facia boards to support the bottom row of tiles.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes - after having had scaffolding once for guttering/roofing repairs, I simply wouldn't consider doing it again without it. Indeed, I've had two lots since then (at the same time).

If you wanted it taken down before Christmas, that would be much more difficult to guarantee. I wanted it down before someone got a chance to use it to rip off the newly laid lead.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Keep a note of the weather over the next couple of decades. Ignoring the fact that it's been reported that we've had the worst winter storms in decades in the last couple of years my ex-wife called me today to complain that the new roof we had put on 15 years as "is rubbish" because there's a slight leak in the chimney flashing that took me ten minutes of silent waiting and listening to track down.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Indeed - putting back the gutterboard is in the roofer's job spec. He will also be using thermowood so it will be pretty rot resistance.

Today is fine and bright. Monday is going to rain, but we are just expecting materials delivery and skip.

Tue onwards is looking good.

Reply to
Tim Watts

How refreshing. Rod Burt of Battle said he'd be here at 8:15. He was. Along with his brother and son. Something to be said for a family business :)

Got back from the school drop off at 9:20 and most of 1/4 face of the roof was devoid of tiles. Sarking has been left on and supplimented with tarps as it will not bloody stop pissing it down - even though the forecast said "nice" today.

I have readied my bits so as soon as the sarking is off I will nip in and lay some flat vent duct and 2 pieces of conduit to make future cabling easier.

Reply to
Tim Watts