[WTB] Perforated steel strip.

Hi,

I am looking for a source of perforated steel strip, to reinforce some "raised beds" I am building (the horticultural variety).

Proposed construction will use 600mm vertical sections of treated 200 x 38 constructional timber - of which I have a vast amount - connected on the back and out of sight by said steel strip with a view to making curved/profiled beds. I suppose the end result would be similar to a "opened up" barrel when viewed from behind.

I think I require 25mm-ish x 3mm-ish x lots of metres of meccano-like strip. Preferably galvanized. Surely such steel strip must be readily available, but can anybody recommend a source because I do not know where to start looking!

Only though so far is to find a Dexion (or similar) distributor. I'll also talk with steel stockholders tomorrow

Any other suggestions, or products I can misuse for the application?

david

Reply to
Vortex

Toolstation item 60768

or

a bit thinner than you had in mind, but easy to buy

Also from Wickes, or a builders merchant, but Wickes tend to be pricey for this sort of thing, and BMs have an impenetrable pricing policy, so you won't know how much it was till you get home and check your invoice.

Reply to
Autolycus

Just the ticket, I reckon. Whilst I have never heard of "builders band" before I will investigate tomorrow.

Thanks.

Reply to
Vortex

Go to a builders merchants and ask for wallplate tie bars, they are approximately 2 feet long and are shaped like this ¬

They /may/ be galvanised but expect them to rust, unless you paint them

Reply to
Phil L

You can bend it with thumb and forefinger.

The steel bars I mentioned in the other reply (blueyonder seems to be suffering from delays tonight, I've only just seen this reply, even though it was sent hours ago) are about 5-6mm thick

Reply to
Phil L

Thanks for the suggestion Phil.

Wallplate bars are excessive for the application. I have considered them.

I purchased a reel of "Builders Band" this morning, and I reckon it's exactly what I need.

I'll know tomorrow!

David

Reply to
vortex2

(and snipped the attribution but not the sig!)

Forgot to add - if it's like many of the other items of "builders ironmongery" that are sold, it will have disproportionately large holes for its fasteners. Some are designed to use square twist nails (Screwfix 12788). For things like the Restraint Straps suggested by Phil, you need No 12 or 14 round-head woodscrews, which the likes of Screwfix and Toolstation conveniently don't sell, or 6mm coachscrews.

Reply to
Autolycus