Worktop jig prices

Hello,

I've just been looking for a kitchen worktop jig on t'web and looked at the usual sites. But I'm in France and the sites here seem sparse. (searching for 'gaberit d'assemblage plan travail)

The ones I did find were over 300 euro (+ tva) and the only cheaper one was sold on ebay for 100euro Heck that's more than I paid for the worktops.

Looks like i'll be paying postage from UK

John

Reply to
JTM

Do you actually need a jig for just one worktop? Last one I installed I cut both pieces with a router and a straight edge and cut the chamfer by hand. For the bolts underside I used a suitable Forstner bit and routed between the holes. All looked fine when installed.

Took a bit longer than using a jig but not long enough to make it worth splashing 50 or 100 on one.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Same here, except for the straight cuts, I used a circular saw with a new fine toothed blade.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I would have thought that getting a snug fit between the two parts of a Mason joint would be a bit of a challenge if you didn't use a jig.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Indeed. Buy new from Trend or wherever, use it, sell it in EBay. My loss was comparable to the cost of hiring but i got to use a brand new jig instead of one possibley mangled by previous hirers.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I got mine from Transtools (co.uk). Just looked them up and they're under 30 quid or 33 something including some router bits. It worked fine for me, although I'm sure the more expensive ones are more durable. A pretty large package though, if postage might become a factor - they don't seem to quote delivery to France.

Reply to
GMM

Whereabouts in France?

If you are anywhere near Calais then someone on a trip over might be able to deliver - or at least get it into the French postal system.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Well I'll be back in the UK in a few weeks anyway. But I've ordered one and even with 18 squids postage, works out cheaper than the last joint I had done. I expect to do at least two worktops in the near future. (own and daughter's)

John

Reply to
JTM

A home made one-off 18mm mdf mason's mitre jig is quite easy to lay out and make with a circular saw and a rasp (to round the corner). Car Body filler is useful to have handy for repairs if you need to cut more than one.

The actual angles need only be approximate, as you will use the same jig on both parts.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow